Langstone Discussion Forum

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
OE3GBB

Re: Langstone Discussion Forum

Post by OE3GBB » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:15 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
I was using a 5.2V supply for the display and extra to Pluto, besides the USB from the RPi.
RPi is supplied by a 5.1V/3A USB-C PSU.
I changed the supply of the Pluto just to be over USB and now it is working!
What a bad mistake!

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:36 pm

Happy that you got it working.

The Raspberry Pi only seems to recognise the Pluto properly when power is applied. If the Pluto is already powered with a separate supply then it doesn’t always register when you start the Pi.
The Pluto power supply arrangement is known to give problems like this and AD have stated that they may change the design if a new version is produced.

Colin.

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:28 am

Just thought I would add to the Pluto discussion that the USB cable can cause problems as mentioned before. Just tried several cables until I found a good one that worked. They all work with other devices but not with the Pluto!!

Still having problems running Langstone from Portsdown. Getting to light blue screen with "Langstone Transceiver Loading...."
Think it is the audio usb device but not sure where to go from here.

ReReading the forum again and see my usb device is similar to the recommended one.
Langstone 02.GIF
Langstone 02.GIF (14.9 KiB) Viewed 9492 times

Bus 001 Device 004

I will retry a few other things and listen for any advice.

Martin G8LCE

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:51 am

I suggest you use the recommended audio device unless you want to edit the python scripts. If it doesn't start up audio is possibly the reason. It needs to be the same name. Dave G4FRE had this problem https://g4fre.blogspot.com/2020/02/the- ... eiver.html and I also had it with my Sennheiser headset. The fix is easy but you need to understand how to edit a Python script.

If you know what you are doing you can do

aplay -L

and note the result. In the Lang_RX.py script find the line

self.audio_sink_0 = audio.sink(48000, "hw:CARD=Device,DEV=0", False)

and edit it accordingly to match your audio device. Do something similar in Lang_TX.py.

Mike

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:46 am

Tried that and look at the output!!

I might have got too many bits connected or tried too many usb audio devices.
I am running Langstone via Portsdown 4
Langstone 04.GIF
Langstone 04.GIF (43.67 KiB) Viewed 9480 times

Martin G8LCE

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:00 pm

Yikes - try setting to default see what happens but really you need to use the recommended USB dongle - they cost under £5.

self.audio_sink_0 = audio.sink(48000, "hw:CARD=default,DEV=0", False)

or perhaps
self.audio_sink_0 = audio.sink(48000, "hw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0", False)

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:08 pm

No need to change anything, the hw:CARD=device,DEV=0 is the default setting so your USB device looks to be compatible.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:42 pm

So it appears - there seem to be a lot of devices - but what then is stopping it starting up?

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:20 pm

Good question.

Martin, can you describe again the problem you are seeing, I can possibly then suggest some things to check.

Colin.

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi all,

I seem to get to the Langstone loading screen and that is it! I can ssh and unlock the RPi but it will only get to that light blue screen. I have tried from Portsdown 4 and now from Langstone only (fresh install ). I have tried different usb sound dongles. I have the 7" display, RPi 4, wired mouse, Pluto and the usb audio dongles.
The power is coming from a 12v fed usb hub that also gives out 3 2.4amp charging outputs.
When used as a Portsdown 4 the setup works with a usb video dongle, a Limemini and a minitioune very well (including the usb sound )
I had some trouble with the Pluto usb lead but changed for one that works.
I must have something wrong as I seem to get back to the Langstone loading screen most times.
I hope to find the solution and when I do I will make a video of how to do it. Otherwise I will forget the bit that made it all work!!
I will try reloading the Pluto firmware. Which version is recommended?
I will also try powering the Pluto from a different power source.
I will read more of this forum.....

Martin G8LCE

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”