Langstone Discussion Forum

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
g4eml

Re: Langstone Discussion Forum

Post by g4eml » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:20 pm

We will probably need a modified Pi breakout board at some point, but it might be a bit early to define what it needs yet. Probably just an update to the existing Portsdown one.

The GPIO input pins need pull up resistors so they would be more convenient on the breakout board. (The Pi does have internal pull-ups but they don’t seem to work very well on the PI4.)

G4uvz

Post by G4uvz » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:00 am

This is off subject ..but tried to send you a pm but it appears to be stuck in my BATC outbox!

I was watching the Thursday night Oscar show and would like a link to the 'proteceted' Lipos you are using in your power supply

Mnay thanks

Adrian

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:06 am

Hello Adrian,

PMs don’t usually work well on this type of BBS because there seems to be no notification when one is waiting. Unless you check regularly it is easy to miss them. Yours did come through and I have replied.

Colin.

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:07 pm

I have made a couple of small changes to the Langstone code and uploaded them to Github.
The main change is that the 'OFF' button in the Setup menu now does an orderly close-down of the Pi.
Although it seems to survive just removing the power it is probably safer to select 'OFF' and wait for the screen to go blank first.

To update:-

cd Langstone
git pull
./build
sudo reboot

Part of the update is to add a couple more scripts.
So in future updating will be:-

cd Langstone
./stop
./update
./run

Colin G4EML

g0uhy

Post by g0uhy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi Colin,

I've loaded the latest software and done the lcd-rotate=2 mod to get the screen the right way up. It would seem that the firmware in the Pluto is not the one needed for this application? When I connect the Pluto the software loads ok but I don't get the frequency display. The Pluto was a new one with the latest firmware and I have modified it for all the cores and the extended frequency range. I've also got one with the F5OEO firmware and that is the same. Any ideas?

Malcolm G0UHY

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:31 pm

Check your microphone type - those were the symptoms I had initially. You may need to modify the python script slightly

Mike

g0uhy

Post by g0uhy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:04 pm

Thanks Mike, spot on!!Used another USB audio device and now seems ok.

Malcolm

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:51 pm

As you have found, the symptom of a missing frequency display indicates that the GNU radio SSB_TRX.py has not loaded correctly. A non-compatible audio device will cause this, amongst other things.
I will see if I can detect this and display a diagnostic message in this case.

i2NDT

Post by i2NDT » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:42 pm

hi Colin!
which Rasberry Pi do you recommend: the one with a 2 GB RAM or that with 4 GB?

best 73
de
i2NDT Claudio
i2NDT Claudio
Dalmine, Italia

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Hi Claudio

It’s a bit too early to be sure.
I use the 4GB version but I believe others have used the 2GB without any problem. Neither of the programs is very large so I don’t think RAM size is critical.

Colin.

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”