Langstone Discussion Forum

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
g4eml

Re: Langstone Discussion Forum

Post by g4eml » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:19 pm

The slowdown when using ip:pluto.local was due to the way Langstone was talking to the Pluto for frequency control. It was opening the iio channel each time and then closing it again. because it had to look up the ip address each time this was quite slow. The new Pluto_Test program highlighted this.

I have now modified the code to only open the iio channel once and keep it open while the program is running. That has reduced the time for each command as it no longer needs to repeatedly look up the ip address. Pluto_Test has been updated to use this method and shows a significant increase in tuning commands throughput.

This change won't make much difference to most users because the tuning commands are only sent occasionally. However those of you who are seeing very slow response times to tuning with the network connected might find that it has improved. (or might not!)

This means I can leave Langstone using ip:pluto.local as the pluto address which should remain valid whatever IP address is assigned.

73 Colin G4EML

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:31 pm

Gareth,

I have thought about adding a CW keyer. It is on the long term 'to do' list.

Support for the Hydra doubler is possible but I don't know at the moment how to do it. Getting SSB to work when doubled is not a simple task. I am pretty sure that GNU radio can do it but it will take a bit of investigation.

I am concentrating at the moment on the harmonic mixing method of extending to 10GHz. That will work without any changes to the SDR code.

Colin G4EML

crocky

Post by crocky » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:12 am

crocky wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:32 am
Well I loaded it twice to be sure it was not something I had done, just got the start up screen with a few squares with text written in them. No response other than that.

After doing a fair bit of reading here I have ordered the correct sound card, the one I had was not a good fit, should take a little over a week to arrive (eBay).

Pi4 4Gb, Extra cooling on the CPU. Pluto wide band.

Thanks for the great write-up and some incentive to try!

73, Bob
VK3CDE
Sound card arrived and installed and away it went... Wow! Now to check it out further...

G4FKK

Post by G4FKK » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:18 am

This change won't make much difference to most users because the tuning commands are only sent occasionally. However those of you who are seeing very slow response times to tuning with the network connected might find that it has improved. (or might not!)
Do I just have to run the usual update commands to make this happen Colin?

73, Martin - G4FKK

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:23 am

Yes an update will bring in all the recent changes.

SSH into Pi
Langstone/stop
Langstone/update
Langstone/run

I can’t be sure it will fix any problems because I can’t reproduce them myself, but the changes do improve network performance so may help.

Colin.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:47 am

Thanks for the Beacon update, I found the entering process very quick and easy.
I'm on my final assembly and testing (until the next time....) and I have put a nice little microswitch on my front panel in parallel with the 3.5mm CW KEY socket.
Would it be possible to have the morse key operate as PTT too? At the moment I have to press PTT and then I can send CW. Or am I missing something?
Maybe (in the future) could it have a sub-menu to chose (I think these are the terms) Full break-in and semi-break-in? (CW VOX?)
I have also included a front panel mic socket which works as intended, ie Langstone goes to TX when MIC is pressed. Could the PTT go RED when TX is indicated. Some sort of VOX operation may be wanted for headset operators, although I personally don't use it so not on my wish-list as such.
Lock function is great too.
Pic shows my front panel, touch-screen is above.
Gareth
2020-10-28 09.37.31.jpg
2020-10-28 09.37.31.jpg (86.99 KiB) Viewed 28932 times

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:38 am

Hi Gareth,

Adding semi break-in for CW should be possible. Probably no updates for a while though as I am working on another project at the moment.

The onscreen PTT goes red to indicate the latched PTT is active. It would be confusing if it also responded to the hardware PTT. There is already the red TX indicator to show when it it transmitting.

VOX is probably not going to be added.

Colin.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Just a quicky, used by me but observed by Martin G4FKK. The CW beacon letter J is sent backwards which makes JO01AI a bit harder to find :) But Martin could hear the bare Pluto just about at 6 miles away, beams and obstructions en-route.
ANother for the wish-list - could the power down button be via a 'Are you sure Y/N' box? I've shut down more times than I can remember, without intending to. Its just a bit tooo accessible for me....
Pictures of the finished item in my build thread later.
Gareth

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi Gareth.

I am not surprised there are some errors in the morse characters. The coding was all done by hand and involves a lot of bit manipulation.

I will fix it in the next update.

I will also see if I can add a second stage to the shutdown.

Colin.

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:08 pm

Morse Letter J has now been fixed.

Colin

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”