LimeSDR Mini - New Production Run

The place to discuss the use of the LimeSDR Mini for amateur TV applications
G8GKQ
Site Admin

LimeSDR Mini - New Production Run

Post by G8GKQ » Fri May 21, 2021 7:20 pm

The LimeSDR Mini has been out of stock at CrowdSupply and Mouser(UK) for some time. However, the Lime Microsystems team have just published this good news:

"We unfortunately experienced further manufacturing delays, due to supply chain issues regarding component allocation and the current industry-wide silicon shortages. However, we are now pleased to report that the next batch of 1,200 LimeSDR Mini boards is coming off the production line and will be shipped to Crowd Supply next Tuesday, 25th May."

I'm not sure if this means that Mouser(UK) will be restocked as well. The BATC shop will not be supplying LimeSDRs as they are due to be available at reasonable prices from CrowdSupply. See https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/ ... ction-line

Dave, G8GKQ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: LimeSDR Mini - New Production Run

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:37 pm

G4NKV reports that Mouser now have the LimeSDR in stock. Only 200 left and going fast.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... toNQ%3D%3D

Dave, G8GKQ

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:52 am

Bought one, I can't live without band-viewer ;-)
Lime USB powers via USB and bing-bongs, but not seen by any software. DC in is reaching the PCB but no LEDs light up. Nothing visibly burnt, so a PSU fault of some kind. Onto the 'one day maybe' pile....
Gareth

2E0NJT

Post by 2E0NJT » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:42 pm

I had one from this batch ordered it back in November last year finally turned up a couple of weeks ago HW v1.3 SW v 1.30 all seems to work fine
AF80FC2B-208D-4969-975D-3FEA937A40EF.jpeg
AF80FC2B-208D-4969-975D-3FEA937A40EF.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 10815 times

VK3MN

Post by VK3MN » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:03 pm

Hello, is there much difference in performance between version 1.2 and ver 1.3 ? thanks

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:10 pm

There is very little functional difference between the Hardware Versions 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 of the LimeSDR Mini. As far as I can tell the only significant differences are that the on-board power supply (switching) regulators had to be changed due to component obsolesence or supply shortages.

The industry-wide supply shortages are also the cause of the current long lead-times for LimeSDR Mini purchase.

Dave G8GKQ

VK3MN

Post by VK3MN » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:01 pm

Thanks Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:14 am

Latest update of the availability of LimeSDR Minis from Ebrahim Bushehri, the CEO of Lime Microsystems:

The Path to Resuming Production

Lime, like everyone else in the electronics industry, has been impacted by the global supply chain crunch that started earlier this year. From critical components like FPGAs and PLLs to (formerly) commodity components like passives, we’re struggling to source the parts we need to manufacture the Lime product line, including LimeSDR Mini.

The quoted lead times we’re hearing from our suppliers are so outlandishly long and change so frequently that we can’t put much faith in them. So, while we’ve placed our orders and hope the supply chain settles down soon, we’re not betting on it and are actively pursuing other avenues to resuming production. For example, there is some hope of synthesizing a PLL in an FPGA and sourcing FPGAs with better availability. We’re also seriously considering repurposing perfectly good components on boards that have some other defect and would otherwise be scrapped. Happily, the one part we don’t need to worry about right now is our own - the LMS7002 transceiver, since we fortunately had a large batch produced prior to the semiconductor shortage.

In any case, we’ve adjusted all our estimated delivery dates according to our most up-to-date information. If you’ve already placed your order, you can see when it is estimated to ship by logging into your Crowd Supply account. If you are placing a new order, you can see the estimated delivery date before you complete your purchase.

As always, thank you for your support and patience!

Source: https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/ ... -bank-demo

Not great news, but at least they should be available in the future and are not end-of-life.

Dave, G8GKQ

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:58 am

I received the same information three times for the three types of LimeSDR I have. That's the USB, Mini and RFE. I think I should have ordered another one back in the summer when there were plenty in stock. The penalty for those coming late to the party (where were you?) is that the lime is not available for now. The Pluto is, but for how long? The lesson is not to procrastinate for too long as technology moves quickly.

Not all is lost though and if you don't want to wait a year or so for availability there are other options. Taking up golf for example is a fine way to spend much time and lots of money. Alternatively, several people have had success with Gnuradio which supports a wide range of SDRs. I expect it won't be long until someone packages this as an easy to use PC app for those afraid of programming. A wideband SDR e.g. Red Pitaya or even a standard low cost 1 MHz DAC can be used with Gnuradio to generate lower rate RB DATV at baseband which can then drive an upconverter like the RS-HFIQ, it just needs as enthusiastic, capable, developer to make it happen. The Lime and Pluto do all this and more which is why other development has more or less stopped.

Mike

i2NDT

Post by i2NDT » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:41 am

seen today:

https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/ ... /#products

next batch will be available on March 31st?

i2NDT Claudio
i2NDT Claudio
Dalmine, Italia

Return to “LimeSDR Mini”