3D printed case for LimeSDR Mini

The place to discuss the use of the LimeSDR Mini for amateur TV applications
g8gtz

3D printed case for LimeSDR Mini

Post by g8gtz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:48 am

As noted on the wiki, it is very important that you provide some strain relief for the USB connector or it will peel straight off the PCB :-(

There are some good 3D printer designs for cases, with and without fans - https://www.thingiverse.com/tag:limesdr

One such design is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2960772

Maybe someone could print a few for sale?

Noel - G8GTZ

radiogareth

Re: 3D printed case for LimeSDR Mini

Post by radiogareth » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:09 am

Happy to assist (print) on a 'machine time + BATC donation + post' basis.
£6 + £1 +£1.
You might like to tip the original designer via the thingyverse link although they have yet to set up a donation route.

Message me for info and colour choices.

Gareth

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 pm

As an early user of a LimeSDR Mini I can recommend the case design Noel selected. Fans specified are readily available; run quietly and cooling is adequate.

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

m6ort

Post by m6ort » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:37 pm

I would be very much interested in getting a case. Currently as I mostly lurk on here (fingers crossed this month I'll get my 2E0 if all goes to plan and I can be more active as I can use at least some more of the frequencies involved) I cannot send a PM. Happy if this post unlocks this to send a PM, but otherwise if @radiogareth could PM me so I can respond I'll provide information as required.
Many thanks,
73 de Greg
M6ORT

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:05 pm

I've now supplied 5 of the recommended FAN case to fellow amateurs. To save a lot of duplication, here is info I'd need to progress a print:
Colour choice is:
Dark Blue Pearl or Green pearl or red pearl.
Light Blue
Orange
White
Clear (which comes out sort of translucent rather than glass-clear).
Red
NOT AVAILABLE -i keeps blocking my printer!! Ice-blue clear
Black
Silver

Payment to g4xat AT ntlworld.com,(replace AT with @ and remove the two spaces) £8.00 via paypal 'friends & family' or +5% if via straight paypal (which gives you buyer protection). Or direct bank transfer if you prefer. Cheque only as a last resort....

Let me know your colour choice and delivery address if paying via 'friends and family' (as paypal assume I know where you live...) and I'll get one printing.

This is the case Noel linked to in the original post, the one for a fan on the top. If you want a different case, choose one and send me the Thingyverse link to it.
Gareth
Last edited by radiogareth on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darrenrainer

Post by darrenrainer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi Gareth, if you have a case for the LimeSDR mini that can take a fan in light blue please. I have payed via paypal.

73s

Darren G4VTQ Ottery St. Mary, Devon
73s
Darren G4VTQ

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:05 pm

A big thank you to Gareth for making these cases available, mine arrived today and fits the Lime nice and snug.

Cheers John G7JTT

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi Gareth just discovered one small issues with the case, it could just be my PC but when plugged into a USB3 port the laptop cannot find the LimeSDR but does find it on a USB2 port. I had to remove just over a mm from the case around the USB plug to allow the plug to go into the USB3 port that bit further and for the laptop to see it. As I said most likely my laptop but thought I'd highlight it encase anyone else has the same issue. Did give me a bit of a panic as thought I'd damaged it :o

John G7JTT

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi John, I don't have a Lime Mini to experiment with but if others have this issue a useful 'fix'. The case design isn't my own so I don't think the CAD is available but will take a look. Are your reducing the CASE LENGTH or increasing the OPENING around the USB connector?
Just looked at my LimeUSB (in an alloy case) and the USB sticks out 14mm. Possibly a safer fix would be a short USB extension lead, anchoring the Limemini to something big might cause an early demise, case or not. (Well it would on my bench!!).

Keep us all posted...

Gareth

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi Gareth it's the front of the case that prevents the plug from fully entering the usb3 socket so yes I just shortened it with a hot Stanley blade https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kwxpqgmjo6j2 ... 3.jpg?dl=0
I will get a short extension lead for the lime as don't like plugging direct into the laptop.

John

Return to “LimeSDR Mini”