it would be nice if ......

Information about the Regional Mini-ATV Conventions to be held in 2019
g6urm

it would be nice if ......

Post by g6urm » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 am

a mini convention could be organised down here in the south west - Exeter or Plymouth maybe ?? - it might encourage some activity if displays and how to's where featured - but not much hope of that happening I suppose - we are very isolated down this way atv wise :(
NO idea is too crazy so long as one fool believes they can make it work

g8gtz

Re: it would be nice if ......

Post by g8gtz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 am

Hi

The regional CATs are organised by the members but supported by BATC so if you want one down in the South West, suggest you get a few people together and organise one.

To be honest though, I'm suprised not more people from your area didn't come up to the one in Bristol - it's about as local as you are likely to get if you don't organise one yourselves.

Noel - G8GTZ

G4IUG

Post by G4IUG » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 am

g8gtz wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 am
To be honest though, I'm surprised not more people from your area didn't come up to the one in Bristol - it's about as local as you are likely to get if you don't organise one yourselves.
Noel - G8GTZ
It was only 1 1/2 hours from Exeter ! I believe Malcolm from Paignton went ? Both of us and another will be traveling to Martelsham tomorrow.

Dave
Ex G6ANG/T and G8EAO

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:57 pm

I helped to organise the recent Bristol convention. 46 people signed in. If you and some of the Devon/Cornwall group organise something similar, I will come down and bring some kit to demonstrate and give one of the talks.
73 Shaun.

g6urm

Post by g6urm » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:15 am

yes again you are assuming that a:everyone has transport to be ABLE to get to events up country - b: are physically ABLE to travel long distances - that's why I said it would be nice to have something down here - and what of any Cornish folks ?? - lot more than 1.5 hrs travel to Bristol there

and you say " get a few together and organise something " …………………. er what if one IS the few in any area ?? - atv' ers are not exactly plentiful down here ( unless they are all hiding under a gorse bush .lol ) and yes I know there is interest in torquay area - but other than that ?? - looking at the batc map for my interest area I think 3 off us sw of torquay ?? - that's the whole point folks unless people can come with kit and help demonstrate the hobby - it WILL probably remain a very minority interest in the further reaches of the UK - as you all correctly observe - activity generates activity - we had a repeater (gb3wv ) - but that's been closed for a while and apparently broken up for parts :x - so the 1.3 ghz interest is out - and as to 5.6 ghz ?? ……………. again all fine IF you have the transport etc etc …………..

now you may think i'm complaing - but nope - just pointing out that for some in the supposedly " inclusive " world we live in - things are not so easy - as my friend observed the other day " we live in the wrong area for amateur radio " - and indeed those of us isolated by geography and health problems do look with envious eyes at the midlands et al where there IS a lot more activity ……………… just sayin ;) ;)
NO idea is too crazy so long as one fool believes they can make it work

G4IUG

Post by G4IUG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:04 am

If there are just 3 of you, then this clearly isn't going to work.

Some of us traveled nearly 750 miles this weekend to the Martlesham Microwave Round Table. One of us drove.

When I returned to the West Country, I knew that I would have to travel to get anywhere, or not.

I can only suggest you get one of the 3 or someone that is remotely interested, to drive to Bristol. Or why not let the Train take the Strain ?

Regards

Dave ( Dartmouth next to Torquay)
Ex G6ANG/T and G8EAO

Return to “Mini-Conventions in 2019”