Ampex C format VTR spares and service information

The place to discuss ex-Broadcast equipment
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
omnibod

Ampex C format VTR spares and service information

Post by omnibod » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:03 am

Hello All

I am new to the forum and I hope I can help those in the group keep their Ampex C format VTR's going for more years to come.
I have a good selection of V-Mag re tipped Ampex and CMC heads in PAL and NTSC flavours for VPR2/2B, VPR6 and VPR3 VTR's
Also a growing spares stock of IC's, transistors, some capacitors and special resistors as well as many mechanical items. I have a huge selection of TBC2/2B modules (not all tested though) I dont have it all yet but as soon as the Covid restrictions reduce I can get some C level mechanical kits that some past colleagues have for me. These kits have major items e.g. Capstan motor, scanner assemblies, tape idlers, pancake motors, brushes etc

I have some Ampex machines of my own, two of which are in working order and the others in restoration (2x Ampex VPR2B's and 2x Ampex VPR3 VTR's using a variety of TBC's (TBC2/2B/3/6)

There are more of us oldies keeping the Ampex kit going and I am a part of a small group that has helped each other with items/parts and tech help. If I can pass on this information etc to others in this group I would be more than happy to assist.

I am an ex-Ampex Video service engineer (I worked in the EAME dept in Italy, covering East Africa and Middle East countries) and can help with service information and documentation (i have most manuals in PDF form to send out FOC)
I also have some pictures (when I can find them) of some old OB trucks parked at Qatar state TV (next door to Al-Jazeera)

regards

andrew

G8HKN

Re: Ampex C format VTR spares and service information

Post by G8HKN » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:45 am

Thats interesting when I worked for an Organization
In Denmark Hill South London a long time ago now.
A chap called Andrew with a surname begining with P
Serviced our VPR 80's.
was that you ?
Regards Roger G8HKN.

omnibod

Post by omnibod » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:35 pm

yup, sounds like me alright. This would have been when I was still at Ampex in Reading in the late 1980's (until 91 when most of us got made redundant) The EAME office relocatedfrom Rome, Italy in 1987 and so I joined AGBL and worked all over the UK on all the C format machines (except VPR5)
Denmark hill?, was that the Met police department by the railway line? Like fort Knox that place.....

I used to meet a chap called Mike Flockhart, we nicknamed him at Ampex as Flockhart of the yard, a really super nice chap....always slipping off for a quick ciggy.

G8HKN

Post by G8HKN » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:57 pm

Andrew i have sent a private message to you on the forum

Return to “Broadcast Equipment Discussion Zone”