CODEC Advice Needed

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
G4NRT

Re: CODEC Advice Needed

Post by G4NRT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:20 am

I know VLC but not VMIX. Neither has been installed by me. I have searched the hard-drive to be sure and not found either.... Windows Media Player is installed. If I go to that and then Help > About > Technical Support I get a list of all installed Codecs. The Video and MPEG/DVD Codecs are:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (85.11 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
I am not sure whether there may be a conflict between the LAV and Microsoft Video and Audio Decoders! The same are all installed on my old Windows 10 PC on which this all works ....

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:42 am

My point was you probably should have them installed. I can't really help any more as my version windows media player does not have help or the ability to show codecs. Windows 10 has perhaps changed.

ffdshow does and here they are. Your list does not seem to have very many codecs. I would install VLC and VMIX and FFDShow.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (123.07 KiB) Viewed 4740 times

G4NRT

Post by G4NRT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks ... sorry I misunderstood! I have now installed VLC - tested but no different. I then installed vMix - tested but no different and finally I installed ffdshow - and I now see a list the same as yours when I run it. Tested but still no different!

There cannot be anything else to try!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (79.89 KiB) Viewed 4734 times

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:37 pm

Now you have VLC installed, can you see the UDP sent to it from Minitioune? Remember to edit the minitioune ini file first and then in VLC it's open network stream udp://@:1234

Also - just in case, can you run the tests as administrator?

Mike

G4NRT

Post by G4NRT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Mike,

I am not 100% are what I should be doing now ...

In the minitiouneConfig.ini file I found the section headed "UDP address for TS transfer" that showed an IP address of 230.0.0.10, I edited the port from 10000 to 1234 (the default udp port for VLC) and restarted the Minitioune application (not the test one)

I went into VLC and opened Media > Open Network Stream and put udp://@:1234 and I can see an orange bar going back and forth on VLC but nowt on the display .. I also hit the UDP switch on the bottom right control panel.

I am not sure what I am doing here!

Thanks for your extreme patience on this issue ... you are the only one who has tried to help!

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi
Add the IP address as udp://@230.0.0.10:1234 and you should receive the picture streamed from Minitioune.

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G4NRT

Post by G4NRT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Thanks Steve. I tried that in VLC and it is still just an orange bar going up and down and the VLC traffic cone in the middle!

Is it that I am trying to see the data stream that the Minitiouner is receiving from the Portsdown in Ugly mode and not trying to render it in the Minitioune software? Is that the purpose of this test?

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 pm

It looks like Mike wanted to find out whether your signal is correctly decoded by VLC; a process of elimination. VLC usually locks a signal from Minitioune very well and produces good pictures.

I confess to not reading all the posts.

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G4NRT

Post by G4NRT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Ah OK. I think it is not being received by VLC at all ... I just do not understand why it will not work on my new (high power) PC but all runs fine on my older (to be retired) Surface Book laptop .....

I just tried setting up VLC on the laptop and I am seeing the same testcard I can see in the Minitioune software so that is how it works. I think this shows that my transmission stream is either not getting out of or not being recognised by the Minitioune software on the new desktop PC. Since I just see a grey box saying "No video or codec/pid" in Minitioune then it is also not being sent by UDP to VLC.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Last idea - disconnect from the internet and turn off your firewall and disable any anti-virus software and see if it works.

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”