Minitioune v0.8: scaling the application on Win10?

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
dh2va

Minitioune v0.8: scaling the application on Win10?

Post by dh2va » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:23 pm

I am running the Minitioune application nicely under Windows 10 on a 1920x1080p display.. unfortunately the OS is upscaling the application to a degree where I can barely see the whole GUI. I have tried disabling some of the high dpi scaling options of Win10 for the Minitioune app but with little to no effect (it sometimes even gets worse). Has anybody a solution for this (excluding changing the OS)?

Sorry if this has been already covered..

73s Achim

M0YDH

Re: Minitioune v0.8: scaling the application on Win10?

Post by M0YDH » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:57 pm

I struggle too Achim with this aspect of MT on Win 10.
I have the task bar set to drop out of view. It reappears when the mouse hovers over the bottom of the screen. This means I can see all of the Minitioune window .
I think it's a desktop appearance setting.

I hope this helps

Viel Spaß

David M0YDH

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:44 am

Hello,

I suppose that your Win10 is not set to show the full HD your screen can do.

To fix this, right-click any empty space on your desktop and select Display settings towards the bottom of the context menu. Alternatively, you can go to Start > Settings > System > Display.
Lower down the screen under Scale and layout you'll see a drop-down menu labeled Change the size of text, apps, and other items: to 100%

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:11 am

The real problem here is that 1920x1080 (HD) resolution is no longer high enough for many applications. I am surprised to see so many new laptops still being sold with this resolution while there are an abundance of 4k televisions on the market. The secret is setting the dots per inch scaling but windows does not handle this setting very well. It ought to be able to tell this and adjust automatically but often doesn't. On a 4K machine the text is too small and on an HD one too large. Earlier compilers are not necessarily high DPI aware either and text looks very rough around the edges on high resolution displays.

In my view, which I don't think will be shared by JP as it would be a huge amount of work, is Minitioune needs to change its under interface somewhat to one that is compatible with a larger range of display sizes and resolutions. Drop down menus and docked and undocked diagnostic panels. Maybe separating the video window from the diagnostic windows and free form scaling. This is not made easy by there being two camps of users. The ones who want it simple and the ones who want the details. Expert mode is intended to satisfy both these sets but because we are often working with marginal signals expert mode is needed. It would be nice if it were configurable.

Unfortunately, the NDA means nobody else can develop the software. When many people are working on rival applications it tends to drive improvement across all of them as ideas emerge and get tested.

Mike

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:23 am

Hello,

Minitioune is set to be 1024x768 pixels_fixed so can be seen on most of all screen resolutions, included laptop.
So it can be used also with HD screen (1920x1080), but don't occupied the whole screen. Only the video can be seen full screen.

I use a 4K, 43" screen for my development (Viewsonic VX4380-4k) and text is not too small, I can see it very well anywhere on the screen but yes with this resolution we need 43" 60Hz monitor at least and I don't think that 4kTV could give the same result, or we need to test different TV before.

Yes, a vectoriel or resizable interface would be better but it is a great job to change it now.
It would be nice if it were configurable.
what do you mean exactly?
Maybe separating the video window from the diagnostic windows
I can go back to this mode (old versions of Tutioune were working with a separate video window "Tiounevideo" ).
but you can do it using VLC.

It is not easy to satisfy always all users that have not the same needs/wishes.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:19 pm

Yes, a vectoriel or resizable interface would be better but it is a great job to change it now.
I agree - this is always the problem with software development.
It would be nice if it were configurable.
what do you mean exactly?
I mean docking windows that can be enabled or not. So you can select or not the ones you want to see.
Maybe separating the video window from the diagnostic windows
I can go back to this mode (old versions of Tutioune were working with a separate video window "Tiounevideo" ).
but you can do it using VLC.
That's not what I meant, I mean a video window that can be freely re-sized and placed anywhere on the screen, or a second screen if you have more than one. Not VLC - useful but different. I don't remember the old versions to well, but then I'm not always sure what I had for breakfast.

Mike

dh2va

Post by dh2va » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:40 pm

F6DZP wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:44 am
Hello,

I suppose that your Win10 is not set to show the full HD your screen can do.

To fix this, right-click any empty space on your desktop and select Display settings towards the bottom of the context menu. Alternatively, you can go to Start > Settings > System > Display.
Lower down the screen under Scale and layout you'll see a drop-down menu labeled Change the size of text, apps, and other items: to 100%

Jean-Pierre F6DZP
Jean-Pierre,
Magnifique! This switch did it! I tried so many other settings but not this one..
On this occasion, I would like to express a big thank you to all you have done for the DATV community!

Merci beaucoup,
Achim

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”