Problems with display video from Minitioune v0.8

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
m0xtd

Problems with display video from Minitioune v0.8

Post by m0xtd » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi all,

Configuring a new laptop to run MiniTioune and have hit a few problems that I don't appear to be able to resolve.

Using a MiniTiouner v2 (Serit FTS-4334L) and that hardware all appears to check out ok. I can run the TestMyMiniTiounerV0_2a that comes with MiniTioune v0.8 and everything checks out correctly - it correctly identifies the MiniTiouner type and the I2C/NIM tests result in green lights and no errors.

I've also downloaded and installed the LAV filters and registered the urac.ax file as per F6DZP's instructions and no errors are reported.

However, when I run the CheckMiniTiouneDriverAndFilters_V0_5a.exe I get the following error
The attachment d3d9 error.png is no longer available
Clicking OK just terminates the program.

If I try and run MiniTioune_V0_8s.exe, I get the following message box
d3d9 error.png
d3d9 error.png (30.78 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
This time, clicking OK brings up the main MiniTioune screen and if I set the parameters to match the signal I'm tx'ing everything appears to work except the video decoding as shown here
The attachment MiniTioune.png is no longer available
D3D9.dll is related to DirectX - I checked my setup wih the dxdiag command and it responded that everything is working as expected.

I'm running on a Dell laptop with an Intel HD Graphics 630 controller running the LCD and a second graphics card (NVIDIA Quatro P4000) to drive external display, I'm only using the LCD screen at the moment.

Any thoughts on what to double check? I've tried the standard remove, reboot, reinstall cycle but it just keeps doing the above.

TIA and 73s

Ciaran
M0XTD

m0xtd

Re: Problems with display video from Minitioune v0.8

Post by m0xtd » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:26 pm

With thanks to JP for helping to check things, this is now working.

Oddly, everything started working once I reduced the resolution of my laptop to FHD - new laptop does UHD!
Once the Check and MiniTioune programs ran, I was able to reset the resolution back to UHD and even after rebooting, everything is working as planned.
itworks.png
itworks.png (364.28 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
Strange.....

73s

Ciaran
M0XTD

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Its an issue with ultra high resolution displays and older software. Ditto issues with characters in some languages now we are using 16 bit characters. I have had to re-develop path profile to be high DPI, 64 bit, Unicode aware, though it didn't give errors like this. The OS does its best to hide such things and make legacy software behave as expected but it doesn't always work.We are in a transition phase at the moment.

Floating point division by zero errors are either a factor of bad programming (i.e. actual divide by zero) which is unlikely or a variable being zero unexpectedly. In theory you should always test the divisor is not zero before attempting a divide, but that adds overhead.

Mike

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Hello,

If you look at the message the divide by zero error comes from the Direct3D and Directshow 9 DLL that is used.
"In theory you should always test the divisor is not zero before attempting a divide" but I cannot control this kind of error that occurs in a DLL external of my programming.
If you use a bad Directshow filter or one Directshow filter asked is missing, you get this kind of message when you ask this filter.
You don't have exactly programmed somewhere a divide by zero but, somewhere in the DLL, this kind of issue gives this message.

Today we discover another situation where we can discover this message and a way (I hope) to fix it, but I can't imagine what has exactly happened deep inside Windows "black hole?"

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 am

F6DZP wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:04 pm
Hello,

If you look at the message the divide by zero error comes from the Direct3D and Directshow 9 DLL that is used.
"In theory you should always test the divisor is not zero before attempting a divide" but I cannot control this kind of error that occurs in a DLL external of my programming.
If you use a bad Directshow filter or one Directshow filter asked is missing, you get this kind of message when you ask this filter.
You don't have exactly programmed somewhere a divide by zero but, somewhere in the DLL, this kind of issue gives this message.

Today we discover another situation where we can discover this message and a way (I hope) to fix it, but I can't imagine what has exactly happened deep inside Windows "black hole?"

Jean-Pierre F6DZP
Hi Jean-Pierre

This is always a problem when using DLLs which you have no control over. I don't know a solution unfortunately beyond providing only known good filters. That requires a lot of testing and still the bugs emerge later. How about a test program to test each filter on the user's machine and identify those that cause problems?

Mike

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:12 am

Came across it again. Here is the fix.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (179.5 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

mccla5214

Post by mccla5214 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:56 am

Thank you for posting that fix. Been fighting the same issue all day and ran across you post. Had a hard time making it out but finally got the changes made and now it works.

Thanks,

Mike/KA5TDA

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”