FTDI Module and drivers? Confused

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
M0NRD

FTDI Module and drivers? Confused

Post by M0NRD » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:38 pm

I have just built up my first MiniTiouner, V2 board and FTDI module purchased from BATC at the Telford ATV Academy having trouble getting it running. Voltages are all okay, no white smoke etc. Installed the 10K resistor on the USB module and downloaded V8 of the software.

Power connected, then plugged in USB lead into Windows 7 PC (32bit) and it installs drivers but get four usb controllers, not 2 as I've seen in the documentation (as confusing as it is) tried on another PC and the same. The various test programs don't work can't recognise the receiver, downloading the FTProg program, shows a completely different device (FT4232H) to what I expected.. in the land of the very confused now.. is the USB module not programmed?

I have removed the drivers and devices and tried to run the driver install that comes with the software package but computer just makes an error sound and nothing else, even running it under the command prompt..

Any pointers would be helpful

Andrew
M0NRD

Various screenshots

M0NRD

Re: FTDI Module and drivers? Confused

Post by M0NRD » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Typical, after asking for help then solve the problem, seems CN2-5 and CN2-11(VIO) on the module didn't have 3.3V for some reason and if the VIO pin is missing 3.3V defaults to a FT4232H, just removed module and re-seated it and appears to be working fine now.. so not sure which pin had the bad connection. But now working so time for a cup of tea!

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi - bad connections seem to be a common problem. I wonder if the quality of the sockets is suspect? Where did yours come from?

Mike

M0NRD

Post by M0NRD » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:50 am

I got it from DigiKey, the one listed in the parts list (easy to just import and create order for components)

One thing I did notice is it quite easy to fit/remove the module would have expected a little more resistance given the number of pins, less force than removing say an arduino shield. ;)

It is the only problem I've had other than getting the hole in slightly the wrong in the case for the USB connector.. works a treat

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”