USB don't stable Minitiouner V2

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
F1SSF

USB don't stable Minitiouner V2

Post by F1SSF » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:24 am

Hi alls,
I have a delicate problem.
I sometimes have difficulties to run Minitioune.
Sometimes no problems, Mitioune starts very well, sometimes I have a message of several instances while I have only one (it is not a problem of double click! I specify)
I programmed the FTDI in accordance with the F6DZP procedure.
For information, I have a friend om who bought a Minitiouner PRO, and there, no problem, Minitiouner PRO is launched the first time, without any error message on my PC.
However, I noticed, when I run FT_prog on my Minitiouner V2, I have a warning message about USB selective Suspend for a COM port , this option is however desable.
Can you help me?
Best 73 Franck F1SSF
(I am on Windows 10)
Attachments
error handle.JPG
error handle.JPG (15.7 KiB) Viewed 6085 times
fdti error.JPG
fdti error.JPG (26.67 KiB) Viewed 6085 times

F6DZP

Re: USB don't stable Minitiouner V2

Post by F6DZP » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:08 am

Hello,

your problem is first the USB link with the mini-module
- the USB cable quality ( use another cable, buy a very good cable)
- the USB plug in your PC, try another USB input.
- the FT2232H power supply. ( test 5v Vbus pin CN3-1/CN3.3 and test 3.3v pin CN2.1/CN2.3/CN2.5, CN2-11/CN2-21, CN3-12/CN3-22) and test 0 Volt : CN3-4/CN2-2/CN2-4 with the earth of the MiniTiouner PCB. A bad solder on one pin of the FT2232H could cause your problem.
- the FT2232H mini-module. try another mini-module.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

F1SSF

Post by F1SSF » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 am

Hi Jean Pierre,
.the USB cable quality ( use another cable, buy a very good cable)
It's OK no problem with Tiouner PRO from om's friend
.the USB plug in your PC, try another USB input.
same problem
.the FT2232H power supply.
Power supply are correct

OK for change module , is the last solution, but I saw one think:

Also, on datasheet FTDI module, it is notified BUS POWERED for power source.
I see a difference in wiring bus power between the Tiouner PRO and V2. (Tiouner PRO is directly powered by USB, and V2 by USB and VCC)
I have changed config power in init FDTI file, by BUS POWERED, and I no longer have the problem, but I can not be sure that it is the root cause.
At this time, there is difference, my Tiouner start correctly I continue my investigation...

Best 73 Franck F1SSF

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:02 pm

In V2 the FTDI module is bus powered. This should work fine unless you (or the manufacturer) sets up your computer to make it not fine.

Mike

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:52 am

Hello,

yes ( with a MiniTiouner V2 you must change the FTprog template to indicate "BUS POWERED")
and no for the some other information:
- the MiniTiouner-Pro is powered by the 3.3v produced by the 3.3v from the MiniTiouner-Pro regulator ( we only use the USB 5v as a reset signal to the FT2232H). ==> All the MiniTiouner-Pro is powered from the external power supply and on board regulators.
- MiniTiouner V1 is powered by the 5v from the MiniTiouner board 5v regulator and changed in 3.3v by the mini-module regulator.
=> All the MiniTiouner-V1 is powered from the external power supply and on board regulators.
- This is only the MiniTiouner V2 that uses the USB 5v (BUS-powered mode) and changed in 3.3v by the mini-module regulator, so the template for FTprog must be changed from the original template I have furnished.(bus powered mode instead of external powered mode).
(the MiniTiouner-V2 has no 5V regulator) All others components on the MiniTiouner-V2 are powered by the external power supply and on board regulators.

You can make the test :
without any power given to the MiniTiouner:
- plug a MiniTiouner-V1 or a MiniTiouner-Pro in a USB Input on your PC: nothing happens.
- plug a MiniTiouner-V2 and you will see that windows will detect the FT2232h (ding) and you can use the software "TestMyMinitiouner" and init the I2C line. (the NIM will not be detected because not powered.)
That shows that only the MiniTiouner V2 has its FT2232H bus powered.

I think that we have more possibilities of power issue with the FT2232H of the MiniTiouner V2 if the 5v furnished by the PC is not good or doesn't give enough mA because it is also used by other equipment.( I have already seen that using some laptop that give only few mA to the 5V USB bus or much noise on this 5V line)

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

F1SSF

Post by F1SSF » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:10 am

Hello,
Thanks for the analysis.
My problems have disappeared for the moment.I also changed my old PC.
I confirm that some PCs do not give enough mA.It's easy to see with plug USB power Supply monitor
Indeed if the problem returned, I will make a change in the power of the FT2232 with hardware mod.
All the best, F1SSF Franck

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”