Noel's video re Minitioune software?

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
G3UKV

Noel's video re Minitioune software?

Post by G3UKV » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Somewhere ... just somewhere - Noel did an excellent 10 minute resume of installing the software and a bit more too.
Searched batc wiki EVERYWHERE, but can't find it again. Can someone re-direct me, and perhaps make it easier to find !
73 Martyn G3UKV

M0SKM

Re: Noel's video re Minitioune software?

Post by M0SKM » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Find me on D Star through GB7BP

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:38 pm

Umm - I did one on the Portsdown software here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkjheie8uOk but not one on the MiniTiouner software.

Steve has posted a link to the wiki page which should get you going...

73 Noel

G3UKV

Post by G3UKV » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Doh...yes I meant the Portsdown video. Thanks Noel & Steve. Got the Touchscreen working, but still struggling to get the 'ugly' RPi output visible on the minitioune rx screen. We'll get there eventually.
P.S. Noel - the video you made really helped, but the link via TX User guide < Contents item 4 < 'initial setup' is easily missed - which is why I couldn't find it. Perhaps it would help if the link is also provided in one of the earlier intro pages ?
BTW - my tech adviser (Tim, my son) said to get to the Console menus, I must link direct to the household router, and it wouldn't work just plugging into the PC RJ245 socket. Is that so ? Not quite clear on the video. Thanks again. Martyn

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Martyn wrote (inter alia):
G3UKV wrote:...BTW - my tech adviser (Tim, my son) said to get to the Console menus, I must link direct to the household router, and it wouldn't work just plugging into the PC RJ245 socket. Is that so ? Not quite clear on the video...
Martyn - you should be able to connect from a computer to the Pi via an ethernet cable and SSH you way in - I'm sure I did it like that as I don't remember having to mess about with 'spare' routers (the main router on my network is fairly inaccessible and all the ports are full anyway) ... I could be wrong, though: old folk forget, y'know ;)

John

G1BVI

Post by G1BVI » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Martyn

If you plug the pi into the router you must determine the IP address of the Pi.

You must also ensure you have SSH on your pi sd card as explained in the wiki.
The wikki suggests advanced IP scanner to scan the devices on your network.
The pi should be identified and an IP address associated with it. ie 192.168.1.211 or whatever.....
once you know the ip address , run a program called puTTY .
This allows you to communicate with the pi.
leave puTTY in its default settings and enter the ip address that you found for the pi.
press enter and you should then be communicating with the pi.

When I first tried it I could not find the pi , ip address using advanced ip scanner.
I had to rebuild the sd card again as something must have gone wrong in writing to the card.

Hope that helps
Nick

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:14 pm

BTW - my tech adviser (Tim, my son) said to get to the Console menus, I must link direct to the household router, and it wouldn't work just plugging into the PC RJ245 socket. Is that so ? Not quite clear on the video.
Yes, that is correct, you should connect via your household router. You can connect direct to a PC but it is much more complex so it is worth the effort of running a cable to the main router (or hanging the pi in the cupboard under the stairs or whatever) :-)

Then just follow the wiki / video https://wiki.batc.tv/Initial_setup - but note that you do NOT need to run Advanced IPscanner to find the IP address as it is now displayed on the Rpi touchscreen at bootup.

Re Ugly mode - the coupling between Rpi and the tuner input is quite touchy (due to multipath / overload) - try laying a piece of wire connected to the tuner input alongside the Rpi....

73 Noel - G8GTZ

VK5BI

Post by VK5BI » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:44 am

Martyn,

try this link for info on doing a direct connection between your Pi and laptop. It worked for me.

http://www.circuitbasics.com/how-to-con ... net-cable/

Wayne
VK5BI

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 am

This direct connection method may not work without further reconfiguration on the Portsdown, as the RPi's HDMI display output is disabled so that it does not conflict with the transmitting software (which makes use of one of the clocks shared with HDMI). It would also not allow you to update your software with new features or bug fixes.

Not recommended. Far better to temporarily put your Portsdown next to your router and plug it in. Then enable the WiFi on the Portsdown and once it's working take it back to your shack.

Dave, G8GKQ

M0YDH

Post by M0YDH » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Hello Martyn
I rejoined the Telford club last week. I can bring my Portsdown and Minitiouner to a club night or your QTH if that's helpful. Dave G7MEG and I would rather like a 2 way DATV QSO with line of sight Little Wenlock in 2018. I hope you're getting better after the op.
David M0YDH

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”