Minitiouner V2 RBW decoding latency ?

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
G4WIM

Minitiouner V2 RBW decoding latency ?

Post by G4WIM » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi,

I've just started to test my Portsdown and Minitiouner running on 146.5MHz and 333kSpS and the decode seems rather slow and blocky to the point of freezing.

Also carrier lock takes an age (sometimes it won't lock at all) , higher symbol rates seem ok and when lock is achieved MER is good.

Hoping to do some OTA tests, but given the bench performance so far I doubtful they would be success.

Maybe it's finger trouble with the MiniTiouner program ?

Any pointers ?

73 Tim

g0mjw

Re: Minitiouner V2 RBW decoding latency ?

Post by g0mjw » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi Tim,

Make sure you select DVB-S rather than Auto - and don't expect 333ks/s to be as good as 4MB/s. Its pretty essential to use H264 and best not to have audio so all the bandwidth is available for video.

Mike

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the tips and making the changes you suggested has helped in terms of signal acquisition but not sure how to turn off the audio - maybe I have to use console mode for that ?

Latency is still about 6 seconds - but not sure what I should expect.

I'll leave it running for a while and see how stable it is.

73 Tim

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:00 am

Hi Tim

If you are using the "Pattern" mode, there is a problem with the software that causes blocks and freezing. Try it in CAMH264 mode. This has no audio, and is the most reliable 333KS mode. The MPEG-2 mode with the camera (selectable from Menu2) is not as good at 333KS, and you can turn off the audio from the console (setup, audio).

Dave

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”