Minimum computer spec for Minitioune

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
g7jfi

Minimum computer spec for Minitioune

Post by g7jfi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi everyone,

As part of my quest to build a portable Portsdown TX with Analogue and digital RX I'm trying to ascertain what the minimum spec is for the computer to run Minitioune. The hope is to run it on a single board PC, maybe a Lattepanda. For this I'd like your help please with what lowish spec hardware you have tried it on, and how it went?

The lowest I have tried so far as it is the lowest I own, is the following

AMD AthlonXP 3000+ (2.1GHz, single core, 64 bit)
1.5GB DDR2
Windows XP, SP3
Some old Radeon Video card maybe 3000 series.

CPU useage was 75-98% while running, no problems seen in the decoded video/audio etc.

Particularly interested if you have used any of the quad core Atom cpu's, as the Lattepanda uses one, a Z8350

Thanks
Terry, G7JFI

M0DTS

Re: Minimum computer spec for Minitioune

Post by M0DTS » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Many of us use the Pipo x8 which has an Intel Atom Z3736F Quad core, these work surprisingly well so i guess the Lattepanda would work fine as it uses a faster CPU but quite expensive.
I have a linx 8 tablet which works well, remote desktop to it for control in a remote rack or use it normally when portable, i'm sure there are newer equivalent tablets with Atom cpu.

Rob

g7jfi

Post by g7jfi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks for the Pipo info Rob. When you mention the Linux tablet - is there linux software to control minitioune or am I misunderstanding what you mean about the linux tablet?

Thanks
Terry G7JFI

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Hi Terry

It's a tablet made by Linx, not a Linux tablet... It would be great to have Linux support for MiniTiouner, but it will be Windows only for the foreseeable future.

Dave

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Looking hard for a multi-function device, one that can run decent SDR bandwidth too (up to 8 MHz at a shot with a SDRrsp). This https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/64GB-4GB-10- ... 1438.l2649 has a separate power socket so it can be kept alive for long periods, a standard micro-usb and a USB-C. And dual boot to android, useful as I run droidSSTV/RTTY/PSK too.

Any thoughts?

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:42 am

Went for a wander around the local PCworld (soul destroying other than 1 helpful chap). Spotted a Linx 12x64 for £199, not that they had any they could find. Same processor as the LattePanda and the chinese tablet I posted above. Except this one has a USB 3 port and a microUSB. People have used a LattePanda with the Lime SDR (which I have) for RX/TX SDR. So I bought one....from AO.Com, £199.
Its on its way :-)

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 am

So it arrived and is quite a nice bit of kit. Not a surface pro but not £700+ either.
It can run SDR# (old version) with my RSP1 at 1.5 MHz BW and that uses 80% of the processor. It 'works' at 8MHz BW too but with the processor pegged at 100% I suspect any audio received will be a bit choppy. It runs Minitioune fine, using around 50% processor on my RPI ugly signal. Next thing to try is my Lime SDR but that is a major PITA to install, need to read about getting SDRAngel on board and compiled. Big benefit is the USB3 port, required for the Lime. Other than that, its an Intel Atom x5-Z8350 CPU @ 1.44 GHz, although the task manager shows it as running 1.66. 'Turbo' I guess.

G3JZF

Post by G3JZF » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:51 am

Hi All

My Minitioner works fine with my Lenovo G50 laptop running Windows 10. It also runs on an old netbook on Windows 7 but with aspect ratio problems.

On impulse, I bought a 8.9 inch "Connect Tablet PC" at the Newark Hamfest. It came with very little information but runs Windows 10 seemingly quite well.
Do these work with Mimitioner and what lead do I need to connect to the micro USB port? Apparently there is no such animal as a Micro USB to Micro USB cable!
Any help would be much appreciated.

John

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:38 am

Hi John.
I suspect the micro usb on your tablet will be usb otg and all that's required will be an otg adaptor. As to if your tablet will run the software that's a different matter.
73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:08 am

These very low cost tablets are very much at the bottom of the performance tree typically 1 GB RAM, 1 GHz Intel Atom. That's not a lot these days, but its also not that different from the PIPO X8 which we know works well. I would try a USB OTG cable. Available for £1 and up on Ebay or £15 in Currys.

Let us know if it works.

Mike

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”