PC Hangs

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
biker_bob

PC Hangs

Post by biker_bob » Tue May 23, 2017 7:03 am

Anyone had issues with their computer hanging whilst using the MiniTioune?
I get about 10 minutes of use then have to reset the software AND Serif MiniTiouner. If I don't reset the hardware then I get a USB not found error.

Running Windows 7 and the only running software on the PC is MiniTioune, as far as I know. The computer does have AVG and openoffice installed but they have never been used as the computer was bought for this one job.
Bob G1XIE / M0AJZ

biker_bob

Re: PC Hangs

Post by biker_bob » Wed May 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Further investigation has shown the following sequence of events...
1. The PC makes a noise like the USB was pulled.
2. The software stops responding.

Minimum to restart it all...
a. turn of software (force shut-down as program is not responding)
b. unplug USB and plug back in
c. Restart software.

Is the software crashing and dropping the USB or is the USB is failing and killing the software?

Either way the issue seems to be with the software as I don;t need to reset the receiver board.
Bob G1XIE / M0AJZ

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Wed May 24, 2017 6:44 pm

First thing to try is a new USB cable - having programmed every one that has been sold in the shop, I know from experience that they are not robust and will give that effect - I have chucked out 7 or 8 cables over time and was seen buying another 6 at the Dunstable rally on Sunday!

73 Noel

M0YAA

Post by M0YAA » Wed May 24, 2017 7:24 pm

g8gtz wrote:First thing to try is a new USB cable - having programmed every one that has been sold in the shop, I know from experience that they are not robust and will give that effect - I have chucked out 7 or 8 cables over time and was seen buying another 6 at the Dunstable rally on Sunday!

73 Noel
I work in IT Noel, the number of faults I've traced to faulty, or more commonly "cheap" USB cables is multiple on a daily basis.

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Yes, to get permanently the measures and constellations, Minitioune is continuously asking and receiving the values from the NIM via the USB, so I cannot, in the software, take the time to check if the USB cable is unplugged or has some interrupt. If the USB is interrupted the software crash or freeze.
So it is very important to use very good USB cable. I use only Lindy CROMO cable and I can let minitioune running 24/24.
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B006NY ... UTF8&psc=1

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

biker_bob

Post by biker_bob » Thu May 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Thank you all for the information.
I now have had it running for 9 hours and still going. I moved the PC across the room, removed 3 USB cables, 2 back to back connectors and the splitter leaving just one cable and all is well.
I had no idea that it could cause this sort of intermittent fault. I presumed it would work or it wouldn't. I learnt something new today.
Bob G1XIE / M0AJZ

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”