Picotuner adapter board

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
g8vpg

Picotuner adapter board

Post by g8vpg » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:36 am

I have built the Picotuner adapter board for Minitioune v2 but am having some trouble getting it to work.
I have flashed the Pi with Picotuner V0_11 and in windows device manager, I get the correct two device drivers shown.
I have updated Portsdown with the latest available on 7th April. The green lamp on the Pi flashes about once per second.
When I press receive on Portsdown, I get;
Waiting for tuner to respond
Resetting USB bus
Touch centre of screen to return to receiver &
Touch screen to continue

Have I missed something?

73 Shaun.

radiogareth

Re: Picotuner adapter board

Post by radiogareth » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:08 am

Hi Shaun, I get that but only trying to power it from the RPi USB alone. If its on external power to the Picotuner its fine.
I get the impression that its too much for the RPi USB bus as I also have the Langstone Arduino Micro and a Nextion touch-screen running off the RPi USB and that get upset, re-booting repeatedly as everything power up.
Gareth

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:38 am

Gareth,
Thanks for that suggestion. I have run a 5.1V supply direct to the Pico Pi GPIO pins, but it makes no difference. The current drawn is about 150mA maximum and I have no other usb devices connected to the Portsdown Pi.
73 Shaun.

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:05 am

Hi Shaun,

I know it sounds obvious but it has caught me out more than once, is the Portsdown receiver set for DVB-S ?

I have more than once accidentally set it to DVB-T and then wondered why it wouldn't work.

Does the PicoTuner work with OpenTuner on Windows? That would confirm that the wiring to the adaptor board is correct.

Colin G4EML

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:30 am

Colin,
I have tried it on Opentuner and after changing the default device to Picotuner, it says no working hardware detected. The green LED is continuously lit. It may be assembly error, I will try reflowing all the soldered joints.
73 Shaun.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:52 pm

Hi Shaun

Have you checked that there is 3.3v on the high end of both the i2c pull-up resistors? This is supplied through the adapter board and caught me out when I did not connect all the pins.

Dave

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:30 pm

The green LED should always flash when connected to a computer. The flashing indicates the USB connection is live as it should be whenever the device is plugged into a USB port.

Most of the issues with the adaptor board seem to have been down to the 5 wires being incorrectly connected. I would suggest checking those first.

Colin G4EML

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:30 am

Thanks Dave & Colin,
I have checked the 3.3V on the i2c resistors and it is present OK. I have reflowed all the soldered joints and checked the 5 wires are in the right place and tested for continuity board to board. In Opentuner, it connects to the NIM OK but it does not lock or find any signal. I have now refitted the FTDI module and it is working fine again. I think I will give this one up as a bad job and perhaps build the new Picotuner board when it is available.
73 Shaun.

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:57 am

Hi Shaun,

If the FTDI is working then the only difference should be that the Pico uses the serial TS. That is handled by the five extra wires, so if they are correct it sounds like your NIM doesn't work on serial mode. Strange.

Colin.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:12 am

I had a NIM where the double row of pins were off-centre and the lip of the metal clip-on lid was touching a few pins, one or more of which must have been the serial data as it upset the Picotuner when 'wiggled'. Try removing the lids before you surrender. I cut a couple of mm off the edge of the problem tin lid lips and its fine.
Gareth

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”