External LNB power with the MiniTiouner question please?

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
g3zgz

Re: External LNB power with the MiniTiouner question please?

Post by g3zgz » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 pm

If you have access to two smart phones you could use them on a WhatsApp (other apps are available!) video call to remotely see your MER level.
Put one phone looking at the screen where the MER meter is and take the other to your dish while you tweak its settings.
It's also easier to do the tweaking when it has gone dark as then you can see the phone pictures easier.
A video doorbell could also be used, as well as a camera on the end of a cheap piece of coax and a monitor!

You have a very usable signal level now and will be able to decode most signals on the satellite, but as mentioned you could be a couple of db better!

Dave
G3ZGZ

Basil

Post by Basil » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:32 pm

g3zgz wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 pm
If you have access to two smart phones you could use them on a WhatsApp (other apps are available!) video call to remotely see your MER level.
Put one phone looking at the screen where the MER meter is and take the other to your dish while you tweak its settings.
It's also easier to do the tweaking when it has gone dark as then you can see the phone pictures easier.
A video doorbell could also be used, as well as a camera on the end of a cheap piece of coax and a monitor!

You have a very usable signal level now and will be able to decode most signals on the satellite, but as mentioned you could be a couple of db better!

Dave
G3ZGZ

Thanks Dave, that reminds me, I do quite a lot on the other end of the spectrum, on LF 137kHz, and was sick or running up and down stairs and across the garden to the loading coil and variometer in a wheelie bin outside. I was told of an app called Access to Go and tried it. It lets you log on to a remote PC screen from your cell phone. I could most likely use it for looking at the LNB signal, I don't why I didn't think of that before. Probably because I haven't used it in ages as I motorised the variometer and put a remote power cable in so I can fiddle with it from the shack... Thanks for jogging the old grey cells!

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:14 pm

You could also use the ‘beep’ button on MiniTioune. That generates an audio tone that increases with MER to allow sight free alignment. You could then use just an audio link (two handhelds or two phones) to the dish.

Colin.

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”