miniTiouner crashes

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
G8HKN

miniTiouner crashes

Post by G8HKN » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:46 pm

I built the miniTiouner just after Christmas
And it worked.
I was watching citv from my sky dish.
But now it just crashes when I try to enter the offset frequency or any thing in the top left section of screen.
Occasionally it will work and everything seems to work ok then till the next time it is switched on.
I notice the only error as such is I2C performance is in the red on bar graph occasionally grey but never green.
Roger G8HKN.

G3GJA

Re: miniTiouner crashes

Post by G3GJA » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi Roger

Have you tried editing the minitioune.ini (in the main Minitioune folder) file preset 1 parameters so that when the program starts it goes straight to the settings for the broadcast?

If it works every time you start up it would take the back end of the program out of the equation leaving the GUI. I shouldn't worry too much about the I2C performance; I get similar allegedly poor results on a system that works perfectly OK.

Clive G3GJA / G8EQZ

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Hello,

Most of time crashes are due to bad USB connection ( bad USB cable, USB plug used...)
Have you observed that when you write something, you arm perhaps touch the USB cable or receives a little vibration ??

About the I2C performance, if it is bad you will receive as usual but the dialog with the NIM is slower, constellation, oscilloscope, vu meter will be actualized more slowly.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

G8HKN

Post by G8HKN » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 pm

Hello Clive nice to hear from you.
You were right it was the ini file
thank you very much.
I have optimistically set 3rd button to BADR4
Now i have got to get my 1M dish which is sitting in garden fitted on side of bungalow
I hope this sat works !
Thanyou also Jean Pierre.
Roger G8HKN
ps
do you realize it is 50 years in September we were at college !

G1BVI

Post by G1BVI » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Well I have finally got my dish alligned and all last night the beacon was being received on my MiniTiouner.
Today I tried again and was going to try and resolve some real broadcasts but I cannot even see the beacon.
Everything else looks normal to me.
I then thought maybe it was the offset that might need tweaking but every time I try and change it Mini Yiouner locks up.
The pnly way of closing it is through device manager.
I have set the first preset to start the program in beacon mode.
I sometimes get a second of audio but no image.
I am using an USB cable from Lindy.
Thought there might be a log created but cannot see one.
Running out of ideas.
Hope someone might have a clue.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Nick
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (254.5 KiB) Viewed 4903 times

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Looks fine - codec problem I assume. Windows 10?

Mike

G1BVI

Post by G1BVI » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:45 am

Yep Windows 10.
Last night amazingly it started working again !! was watching/listening to KLD chatting from his shack.

Another time it misbehaves?

Il persevere

Nick

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:46 pm

Hello,

If you have this kind of problem trying to receive the beacon, I don't think it comes from win10 codec, another codec could give same result.
If the problem comes just when you try to decode the video:
1) do you have observed the %CPU ? one reason with your trouble could be you are using 80% CPU before rendering and when Minitioune try to render the % CPU begin to be too high and you have a crash.
2) don't use "autoPID" to prevent Minitioune to render the video, and press UDP button and start VLC receiving the UDP stream to see if VLC can render the video. ( observe also the % CPU)

if this problem comes at different time:
3) as I said 99% of crashes come from the USB link. not only the physical cable or plug, but also the strange result we can have using different no linear power supply.
For instance, I have seen that most of little 5v power supply for RaspberryPi gives a floating 100v on the "earth" side. Perhaps the power supply you are using for your MiniTiouner has this kind of result. sometimes when I plug something else to my PC, I hear a "ding dong" given by Windows, that shows me that during 1 or 2 ms the MiniTiouner USB link has been interrupted by the fact we have some change between "floating" voltage given by different hardware used in your environment.
try classic old linear power supply, perhaps that will solve your strange issue.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”