Portsdown 4 Receiver Update

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Portsdown 4 Receiver Update

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:07 pm

I have just released an update (202403250) to the Portsdown 4 which improves the receiver operation both with PicoTuner and MiniTiouner:
  • VLC is restarted whenever the received "Service Provider" changes. This means that when watching nets, the receiver should cope with changes of video encoders and audio bitrates between stations without the need for operator intervention.
  • VLC and longmynd are nicely shut down when receive is deselected (they weren't before). This should improve reliability when using the Pico Tuner.
  • If the PicoTuner hangs, the USB power is recycled to try to recover it. This is now a very rare occurence.
If the Portsdown refuses to receive using PicoTuner or MiniTiouner (Continuous "Waiting for Tuner to Respond" message or multiple USB bus resets), try unplugging and reconnecting the tuner's USB lead.

I discovered during testing that OMXPlayer will no longer display signals transmitted without an audio channel. As OMXPlayer is no longer supported by the Raspberry Pi team, I plan to remove it from the Portsdown at the next receiver update. Please let me know if you do need OMXPlayer for anything that VLC cannot do and I will reconsider this decision.

Please report any bugs here.

Dave, G8GKQ

DL1BJV

Re: Portsdown 4 Receiver Update

Post by DL1BJV » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:31 pm

Hi Dave,

tried to update P4 to to version 202403250 this morning:

- checking for update, it says Latest Version 202403130 you have the latest version, no need for update,

- BATC Github confirms there is a 202403250 version released,

- updated to the latest DEV Version but it still says 202403130.

Hope this is only a problem at my end.

73 Wolfgang.

-

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:44 pm

Hi Wolfgang

Thanks for pointing this out. Something strange happened during the release process yesterday, and the version number did not get properly updated.

I have hopefully now corrected the problem - please try again.

Dave

DL1BJV

Post by DL1BJV » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:23 pm

Hi Dave,

I have just completed a successful update to P4 Version 202403250 and can confirm that the issue has been solved.
Many thanks for your quick response and all of the amazing work that you and the team are doing.

Wolfgang.

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”