Two Pluto’s on the same Network via OTG

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
M1ASR

Two Pluto’s on the same Network via OTG

Post by M1ASR » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:41 pm

Has anyone configured 2 Pluto’s successfully on the same LAN ? I’ve got one working, but not two. Each Pluto has a different IP and I can see them both on the LAN, but the Porstsdown can’t see the second one. If I connect the second Pluto via usb it works, so both Pluto’s FW fine. As this is an unsupported config, comments welcome. Dave G8GKQ, suggests a networking issue, which I concur. All IPs are Static.

PS I’m using 2 Portsdowns for this purpose, hence 2 Pluto’s One for terrestrial and one for Oscar.

g4eml

Re: Two Pluto’s on the same Network via OTG

Post by g4eml » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:53 pm

Did you change the host name of the second pluto? If both are called 'pluto' than it could confuse the router.

Colin G4EML

M1ASR

Post by M1ASR » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:02 pm

Cheers, I’ll give that a go

Pa3fbx

Post by Pa3fbx » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:45 am

Are you using 1 Network dongle for both?

I am using 2 pluto's via an raspberry witch is setup as a router with portforwarding.

That works great but not all programs are transparant on the ports they use and more important the ports they can setup.
So portforwarding can be difficult.
And yes naming is always important.

Benno

M1ASR

Post by M1ASR » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:55 pm

RESOLVED!

Thank you all for your input.

I used the standard set up for PLUTO 1 (changing IP on Pluto first then making it Static in Router) and there were no issues. This did not work for PLUTO 2. PLUTO 2 DID WORK when connected to PD by USB, so FW looked OK.

Renaming the Pluto didn't work.

The set up is:

2 x PD4's,2 Pluto's 2 OTG/Ethernet Dongles (1 set per PD4)
2 x Minitouners
2 x Ryde's

1 x 16 port Intelligent Network Switch
Mikrotik Router (Not a fan!)

My Solution:

I decided to start again from scratch:

1. Rebuilt Pluto 2 using dfu (after updating Windows Pluto usb drivers)
2. Uploaded a fresh copy of Pluto firmware
3. Connected Pluto2 via OTG and let the Router allocate an IP
4. Made IP static in router

All working great now. I'm suspecting some issue with Router and Pluto original config, but no definitive hard issue. Having said that, on my first attempt I could access the info page on my PC, but the PD4 could not communicate properly with the second Pluto (it knew it was there, as the PD4 detected it, but PD4 test returned incorrect FW.

Things to check:

Make sure that your ethernet adapter uses a Realtek chipset, as the Pluto doesn't seem to like other chipsets (both mine are OK.
Make sure multiple Pluto's have static IP's as well as your PD4's in you routers.

Thanks to Clive G3GJA and Dave G3GKQ for their input.

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”