External HDMI problem

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
IK0YYY

External HDMI problem

Post by IK0YYY » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:51 am

On my Porstdown 4, updated to the latest version available, I plugged a cable into the Raspberry's HDMI socket to connect to an external monitor.
When the system is turned on, I do not see the images received on the external monitor.
I understood that this was how it was supposed to work.
Perhaps I need to set something on the M2 or M3 menus in the software ?
Thank you.

Luca IK0YYY, Rome.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: External HDMI problem

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:15 am

Hi Luca

Sorry to disappoint, but the Portsdown software has NEVER been designed to support an external HDMI monitor.

Portsdown 4 was initially designed to be used with the DSI-connected 7 inch touchscreen. When the 7 inch screen is connected, the HDMI outputs are disabled. Recent upgrades have introduced Web Control (without a touchscreen) on the Portsdown 4, but connection of an HDMI monitor shows an off-centre menu which upsets the positioning of "click" inputs on web control. If you want to use an HDMI monitor for DATV receive or stream viewing with a Raspberry Pi 4, you should use the Ryde software which is designed to do this.

Portsdown 2020 (Raspberry Pi 3) was designed for the Waveshare 3.5 inch screen, and later upgraded to also support the 7 inch touchscreen. Recent tests have shown that when the Waveshare screen is used, the HDMI output is active, although it does reduce the font size on the touchscreen. I have recently enabled selection of the HDMI audio output as an option when receiving or stream viewing. The audio can be cycled between RPi jack, USB dongle and HDMI from Menu 3. I have not tested transmit functions with an HDMI screen connected; I certainly do not expect Ugly Mode to work, and have my doubts about the Portsdown filter-modulator mode. Note that when using the 7 inch touchscreen, the HDMI output is disabled.

Given that the HDMI requirement is satisfied by the Ryde receiver, I do not plan to do any more work on this.

Dave, G8GKQ

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:31 am

In remote control mode there is an output from the HDMI socket that is not supported but can be useful in some cases.
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=8376
Unless this nolonger works

Martin G8LCE

IK0YYY

Post by IK0YYY » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:42 pm

Hi Dave,

first of all, many thanks for your reply: great honor to talk directly with you !
I am grateful to you for explaining things a bit.
As a simple user and user, I can confirm you that the possibility to have the received image also on an HDMI output maybe would be an extra opportunity, maybe to use the device not only in a laptop, but also comfortably at home and take advantage of a few more inches of a larger monitor/television.
Who knows, you might give us a little help sooner or later.... in the meantime all I can do is thank you and congratulate you on this project.
I, who completely hate having to turn on a computer to be a ham radio operator, can only thank you.
See you soon.

Luca Ferrara, IK0YYY, Rome.

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”