PiKVM via Camera Connector

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
Jonny_mi0mtu

PiKVM via Camera Connector

Post by Jonny_mi0mtu » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:56 am

Hi Folks,

I've been getting back into ATV and Satellite work after some time :)

I have successfully installed the Portsdown 4 system. I unfortunately do not have a touchscreen. However, I do have a PiKVM (https://pikvm.org/) which is a device that uses the camera connector on the Pi to let you use your Pi as a remote KVM server with an HDMI input.

I thought, well since it uses the camera connector, would it work with Portsdown pretending to be a PiCam? And low and behold...it works - nearly!

I'll send through a picture in due course (not at my equipment at present) but basically the picture on tx is the right 50% of the screen (I was sending in a 16:9 source).

Does anybody have any ideas how I could maybe tweak some picam settings under the hood of portsdown? It must be able to work correct somehow, the folks at PiKVM do it.

Thanks

Jonny MI0MTU

g8lce

Re: PiKVM via Camera Connector

Post by g8lce » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:13 am

Hi Jonny,

You can control the Portsdown via a browser and just use a HDMI monitor.
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=8376
Just incase it helps while you sort your system out.

Martin G8LCE

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: PiKVM via Camera Connector

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:19 am

Hi Jonny

Very Interesting! What video encoding are you using for transmit? I ask because the Portsdown works totally differently for MPEG-2 and H264.

There are a number of settings that might help you make this work before you dive into the code. As Martin says, these are best accessed from a web view of the touchscreen rather than the ssh console menu. Note that you will not normally get images on the web view, only buttons.

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”