Connecting and testing the pi cam with Portsdown 4

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
M0NDE

Re: Connecting and testing the pi cam with Portsdown 4

Post by M0NDE » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:20 pm

My issue is now resolved by purchasing a Logitech USB camera as recommended by the BATC info.

Thanks for help

Nigel M0NDE

F5CAU

Post by F5CAU » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:47 pm

I found on the net a HDMI to CSI converter, to emulate a Pi Cam using any HDMI source
so I installed it in my Portsdown 4, connected the converter to the cam connector on the Raspberry and my camcorder on the HDMI side
Now with the "Pi cam monitor" in Menu 2 I can see the vidéo of my camcorder ! works great !
unfortunately when I specify Pi Cam as source in menu 1 and switch TX on, the camcorder image appears on the screen but he Portsdown doesnt go to Transmission ...
its a pity, possibility to use HDMI source should be a great improvement !
73 all, Gil F5CAU

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:59 pm

Unfortunately, the H264 encoding software written by Evariste F5OEO that is used in the Portsdown does not work with these HDMI to CSI adaptors.

The Pi Cam monitor used on Menu 2 and the Viewfinder used during transmit use different software.

Perhaps ask Evariste?

Dave, G8GKQ

G3VZV

Post by G3VZV » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:05 am

Just to say thanks for a very useful thread...I had been puzzling for an hour or so why my Portsdown 4 would transmit a testcard but not images from the attached PiCam.

I hadn't realised that without an audio source, the audio setting has to be set to "off"...otherwise no output.

Graham G3VZV

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”