Mini Tiouner RFI

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
M0NDE

Mini Tiouner RFI

Post by M0NDE » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:27 pm

I took my mini Tiouner to Railways on the Air. We found that the Mini Tiouner was generating so much RFI that 2m reception on a KX3 was not possible when 12v was applied to the mini Tiouner.
Subsequent tests tonight showed that the RF was coming out from the Tiouner 12v power cable. It seems that some filtering is needed on the step-down board.
Have others found this same issue and what resolved the problem. I did see one posing mentioning RFI on 2m when I did a search.

Thanks Nigel M0NDE

g4eml

Re: Mini Tiouner RFI

Post by g4eml » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:48 pm

You can remove the buck converter and run the minitiouner from the USB 5V supply. Just fit a link wire from the USB module to the input of the linear regulators.

I seem to remember there was some concern that the current drain from the USB would be too high, but I have never had a problem on a laptop or raspberry pi.

Of course, if you need the LNB bias, you would still need the 12/18V supply connected.

Colin G4EML

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:44 am

M0NDE wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:27 pm
I took my mini Tiouner to Railways on the Air. We found that the Mini Tiouner was generating so much RFI that 2m reception on a KX3 was not possible when 12v was applied to the mini Tiouner.
Subsequent tests tonight showed that the RF was coming out from the Tiouner 12v power cable. It seems that some filtering is needed on the step-down board.
Have others found this same issue and what resolved the problem. I did see one posing mentioning RFI on 2m when I did a search.

Thanks Nigel M0NDE
Not me - but it may be the particular converter you have.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:59 am

I have a massive sprog from mine bang on 1.905MHz, my local top-band net. But it is just a few metres from one end of my doublet....
Gareth

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”