Portsdown 4 BandViewer and SigGen update

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Portsdown 4 BandViewer and SigGen update

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:48 pm

Following on from yesterday's release of BandViewer for the SDRplay SDRs, I have updated all the Portsdown 4 BandViewer versions (LimeSDR, Airspy, Pluto and RTL-SDR) to fix a bug that has been present since they were first written. The previous versions worked fine for DATV signals, but plain carriers fluctuated in displayed amplitude. Plain carriers are now shown at constant amplitude.

I have also released a new version of the Signal Generator with a revised touchscreen sensing routine. This is a lot more responsive for both the Raspberry Pi 7 inch and the DFRobot 5 inch screens. I know that some users have other smaller DSI-connected screens - I would appreciate feedback on whether the new signal generator can be controlled from these non-standard screens. My plan is to update all the system with this new routine, so if you don't tell me now there is a risk that your system won't work in the future!

I will work on adding waterfall functionality to the LimeSDR, Airspy, Pluto and RTL-SDR versions of BandViewer over the next few months.

You can load the update (202309270) from Menu 3 in the normal manner.

Please provide any feedback (good or bad) here.

Dave, G8GKQ

gu6efb

Re: Portsdown 4 BandViewer and SigGen update

Post by gu6efb » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:14 am

Hi Dave

I have noticed with the latest release of Portsdown band viewer if you select a frequency higher that the SDR play is capable of receiving you get an on screen message alternating between the band viewer screen and a message telling you that it is starting the SDR play service and this may take 90 seconds.
The issue I have is you cant exit out of this other than a reboot of Protsdown.
Not a big issue now I know why it happens.

Many thanks for your continued work on Portsdown.

73 Keith GU6EFB
Last edited by gu6efb on Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DL1BJV

Post by DL1BJV » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:10 am

Hi Dave,

I can reproduce and confirm that issue Keith has. Using an RSP1A, Frequency range 1KHz to 2GHZ here.

Entering a new Center Frequency above 2GHz, e.g. 2002 MHz will be rejected and returns to the previous selected frequency. (all safe).

Changing a Pre-Set Frequency to above 2GHz, in my case 2002 MHz, causes the Bandviewer to freeze. only way out is to power off the RPi.

Restarted the RPi and Bandviewer several times, it toggles between the Bandviewer screen and the message 'starting the SDR play service and this may take 90 seconds'. The 2002 Mhz is still selected. Only way out is to power off the RPi.

Tried a 'Force Update' to Version 202309270, but Bandviewer still comes up with 2002 MHz selected.

Wolfgang.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:13 pm

Hi Keith and Wolfgang

The way out of this (without hand editing the config file) is to select the Receiver (you don't need a MiniTiouner connected - just cancel through the warning), Select terrestrial, and 437 MHz (or any other frequency in range) and then select "BandViewer on RX freq". This will start bandviewer on 437 MHz and you're back in business.

I'll put a limit check on Frequency in the next build to make sure that it can't happen in future.

Dave

DL1BJV

Post by DL1BJV » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:02 pm

Hi Dave,

didn't think of doing it that way. Thanks, that fixed it.

Wolfgang.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:12 pm

Hi All

I have just released another update (202309300) which includes numerous small enhancements to the SDRplay BandViewer. The update includes:
  • Checks to prevent trying to tune to a frequency outside the SDR limits
  • The ability to enter a frequency offset
  • Waterfall timing calibration marks and other display enhancements
I have updated the Wiki with the new features: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_Band ... own_4_Only

I will try to port these features to the other BandViewer versions, but first I need to do some hardware stuff for a change to maintain my sanity!

Dave, G8GKQ
Attachments
Mix Mode.jpg
Mix Mode.jpg (249.24 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”