Portsdown 4 - Update with SDRPlay BandViewer and Waterfall

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Portsdown 4 - Update with SDRPlay BandViewer and Waterfall

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:17 pm

I have just released an update for the Portsdown 4 (202309260) which adds the ability to use the SDRplay series of SDRs with the BandViewer application. It also includes a waterfall display capability for the SDRplay BandViewer; I hope to add this capability for other SDRs soon.

The release also includes some updates to the MeteorViewer software.

Full details of the SDRplay BandViewer are on the Wiki. Please read before asking any questions. https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_Band ... own_4_Only

Please report any bugs here.

Dave, G8GKQ
Attachments
BandViewer Mix.png
BandViewer Mix.png (424.55 KiB) Viewed 5579 times

Wolfie G8VAT

Re: Portsdown 4 - Update with SDRPlay BandViewer and Waterfall

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:10 am

Thanks for the update and your continuing work on Portsdown Dave.

I was (sort of) forced into an update yesterday evening during the EY activity evening so possibly already have this, I'll have a look later.

I was forced into an update because I've noticed over the last couple of months, when I go into Video Monitor (which works) then try to come back out I simply get a black screen, the LCD Backplane is illuminated but the screen is black. I then have to press the shutdown and restart Portsdown for normal service to be resumed.
Last night, I think I might have powered down before the Shutdown had completed and now I have no Audio on the VLC Stream viewer. However, I do still have Audio on the OMX Stream viewer.. Updating the version did not resolve the problem.

Do you have any ideas what I might try?

While I have your ear.. On TX people are saying my audio is too loud. Using a camcorder into the EasyCap, is there any setting for audio level or do I need a Hardware solution?
USB Mic gain is now set to 1, I presume this is not connected with the Easycap levels.

Just checked... 202309260, cheers...

Thanks again. Gra.
Last edited by Wolfie G8VAT on Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:32 am

Ah... now there's a thing...

It also won't return to the Portsdown system when trying to leave the Bandviewer, just gives a black screen just like the problem above..

It looks like it simply doesn't pick up the Portsdown system again after visiting the other programs.

Should I rebuild the card again?
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:44 am

Hi

I would suggest running the update again (Force Update). If that doesn't cure the problem, try rebuilding the card from scratch.

As for the audio, there is no facility to adjust the EasyCap audio level. I would suggest a hardware solution. It would take you less time to make than it would take me to code it!

Dave, G8GKQ

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:07 am

Thanks for the quick response Dave, I was hoping you hadn't got out of bed just yet..

I thought I would make a list of which programs it would and wouldn't return from.. Langstone OK. Sig Gen OK. Bandviewer OK.... erm, now hang on a minute.. Apart from doing a Software reboot (Cos I could this time) I've done nothing else.
The fault was still present earlier, even after an overnight power off.

So, I just went through all the options including the Video Monitor again, and all returned OK now. Grrrrr

Why do these things make a chimp out of me, is it just me?

I'll cook up an Audio attenuator later, given the way I have constructed the Portsdown it should be simple to insert one in the 'Line in' Ports.
Or maybe just remove the Left Channel Plug, I like 'simple'.

Thanks for the input.
Last edited by Wolfie G8VAT on Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:09 am

I wonder if my Audio on the streamer has returned too?

No, that's still missing.

I can live with that. Image
Last edited by Wolfie G8VAT on Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

HB9IAM

Post by HB9IAM » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:31 pm

Thanks your continuing work on Portsdown Dave!

One wish, to set a offset for the frequency display i.e.
for monitor output of a LNB or a transverter

Thanks 73 Pierre hb9iam

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:05 pm

Hi Pierre

I have just released an update (202309300) which includes the option to set a frequency offset. Full details here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_Band ... own_4_Only

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:50 am

I have just released a further update (202310190) that adds BandViewer support for the RSP2pro. Thanks to G4FRE for the loan of the hardware.

The inputs on an RSP2 can now be switched, and the Bias T supply enabled. The Hi-Z input can be selected as Input C.

I have attempted to provide the same functionality for Tuner 1 on the RSPduo, but have been unable to test this.

Note that the IF Gain and RF gain calibration settings are only valid for the RSPdx. They do change the gain on other models, but not by the factor indicated on the button.

Updated Wiki documentation here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_Band ... own_4_Only

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”