Pluto power output DVB-T

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
g8lce

Pluto power output DVB-T

Post by g8lce » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:16 pm

Would it be possible for the Portsdown 4 button 'Pluto power' to remember the setting depending on the transmission setting?
S2QPSK or DVB-T
Like it does for different frequencies...

Martin G8LCE

g8lce

Re: Pluto power output DVB-T

Post by g8lce » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:37 am

Power setting remembering power levels between output modes.

The reason I ask is because when you transmit with a Portsdown 4 both DVB-T and DVBS or DVBS2 there is a big difference in power output from the Pluto. With DVB-T set at -6 output power then switching to DVBS the output is much more! It needs to be reduced to something like -15. This could cause someone to overload their linear amplifier if going from DVB-T to DVBS without thinking.

Martin G8LCE

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:01 am

Hi Martin

I recognise that this would be a useful feature and that it appears simple, but it is quite complex to implement in a fool-proof manner. It would need minor changes to at least 6 files and major changes to another 3 (including the touchscreen logic and the transmission script), followed by extensive testing.

Given my other current committments (including BATC Treasurer), I do not anticipate being able to implement it in the near future.

Dave, G8GKQ

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:55 am

Thanks Dave,

I understand but it was worth asking. During this experimenting with DVB-T down here in Cornwall due to GB3NQ getting DVB-T in the future, the problem with switching between the two modes has been found. You probably have already heard. If you switch from dvbs to DVB-T and back you will eventually get the Pluto to transmit rubbish for a while before having to be reset. Alan G3XPY spotted it and we all confirmed the problem.

Martin G8LCE

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”