Streaming Audio, now sorted

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
Wolfie G8VAT

Streaming Audio, now sorted

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:14 pm

Sorry, but since both the word "streaming" and "audio" are far too common to search on, I'll have to ask..

I've also found the https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Streaming_Display Page.

But while that page says that Audio is available on the 3.5mm Jack with the 3.5" Waveshare Screen, it neither confirms nor denies whether audio is available when using the Raspberry 7" Screen.

That said, I have two Portsdowns in the case, a Raspberry 3b with the 3.5" Waveshare screen which I use for watching the Stream.
And Raspberry 4 with 7" Raspberry Screen used for TX.

What are my streaming audio options?
Last edited by Wolfie G8VAT on Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Pa3fbx

Re: Streaming Audio

Post by Pa3fbx » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:21 am

Hi Graham

Sorry but i may not understand your ?.

Streaming audio implies some digital transport of your audio channel.

Analog audio is coming out the 3mm audio connector on an raspberry on RX but to get analog audio into an RPI for TX you need some analog audio to usb converter.

benno

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:57 am

Ah yes sorry.

Where I live, I have difficulty receiving the nearest Repeater directly so I use the 'BATC/Live' stream viewer.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 am

Simplest is to use the usb audio dongle into a little amplifier to drive a speaker, that's what I do.

73 Dave.
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:45 am

Hi Graham

When using the Portsdown 2020 or Portsdown 4 as a stream receiver, the audio is available from either the RPi 3.5 inch video/audio jack OR from a white USB audio dongle.

On Menu 3, there is a toggle button that says either "Audio out RPi Jack" or "Audio out USB Dongle". This indicates the selected output. Touch the button to change the selection.

Dave, G8GKQ

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:16 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Looks like a Pi 4 or Dongle goes on Santa's list :lol:
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:17 pm

Aha! no need for either of those, no Santa involvement needed.

A little while back I bought some small Mono Amps and wired one into the Portable RX.
I also put one in the Portsdown 3 case made up a stereo into mono Link lead and got, nothing... Hence my question.

It's difficult testing when all you have is a 7 or 8 second callsign every 10 mins, but today being activity weekend there was a long transmission (Thankyou Richard YTV) and I could find out where the audio was going missing, it left the Portsdown but the Plug on the Amp was shorting it out when fully home.. Seems that even though it's a simple Mono Amp it has a Stereo Jack Socket (with with the two channels linked together).

Simple fix, just put a Standard Stereo Jack Lead in and Robert became my Mother's Brother..

And that is both on the Pi 3 and Pi 4, there is Audio on both Portsdowns Jack sockets. Yay!

Sorted, thanks again for your input guys.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

G3GJA

Re: Streaming Audio, now sorted

Post by G3GJA » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:48 am

Hi Gra

That was me putting out the long transmission! I was operating YTV's station remotely trying to get to the bottom of why his well spec'd laptop doesn't work well with the DATV-Easy software.

It suffers three dropouts when the transmission is started, irrespective of which Pluto (v0.32 or v0.36 firmware). codec, FEC symbol rate, video resolution permutation you choose.

I did get it working better at one point and noticed that the nVidia graphics was working harder. Tried updating the graphics driver to the latest release too.

One you get past the three dropouts it seems stable, but as they happen dozens of seconds into the over they are very disruptive.

Clive

Wolfie G8VAT

Re: Streaming Audio, now sorted

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:12 am

Thanks to yourself then Clive, I must owe you a full barrel of beer by now for all your help :D
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”