Portsdown 4 Camera?

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G4MJW

Portsdown 4 Camera?

Post by G4MJW » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:36 pm

I need to buy a camera for my Portsdown. Not sure whether to buy a Pi 3 type or a Logitech C920 as mentioned in Pluto hardware.

Would there be a big difference in picture quality? I am leaning towards a Pi Camera because if I add another USB device, I'll have to also get a USB Hub!

Mmmm . . perhaps a powered USB would be a good idea a I could remove all other USB items from the Raspberry Pi 4 apart from the hub which would be more beneficial to the Pi ?

Any thoughts?

Steve

radiogareth

Re: Portsdown 4 Camera?

Post by radiogareth » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:45 pm

The C920 (especially the early versions) are ultimately a better camera and can also be used to great effect on your PC with OBS etc.
If you are only doing /P then the RPi camera is a lot better than the C920 you left in the shack...... Even the bootleg cheapies (about £6 on eBay) work well but it seems RPI cameras (genuine) are also to be had...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385445943280 ... R_aa4P7UYQ
As for using a hub...try and resist it, especially if its powered by +12V. I tried one and it destroyed my Lime Mini :-(
Gareth

G4MJW

Post by G4MJW » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:52 am

Hello Gareth and thank you for all the info.

I have a C720 and another even older Logitech (no ID on it) but neither worked! Since I posted my message, I remembered that I have a nice little Sony HandyCam which has an hdmi output. I tested it with my shack TV last night and am very impressed with the picture quality, especially when in low light when I turned the main light off! I can't try it with the Portsdown 4 yet as I need an mini C hdmi connector at both ends of the cable to fit camera and RaspPi4. Ordered and hope will come today. Using hdmi free's up one USB port on the Pi.

That all said, it would be silly of me to not to try a Pi Camera especially how little they cost. It would be interesting to see how it compares to my Sony outside if I splashed out for a telephoto lens for it as well!

This is actually for my shack system but I really like the idea of making a very compact setup with one of the smaller screens which work with the Pi4/Portsdown4 . . . But that's a bit later down the line.

Thanks again

Steve

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:42 am

I don't think you will get much joy with the mini HDMI in on the Raspberry 4 as it has not got a HDMI in! They are HDMI outs and not used in Portsdown.

Martin G8LCE

G4MJW

Post by G4MJW » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:01 am

Arrrhh . . had not thought out that. I know it outputted OK as I tested the Pi4 when it's was new with my shack TV and it worked OK.

SO . . . when it says HDMI under SOURCE on M1 screen where would I pick it up from?

Anyway, thanks for the info Martin.

Steve

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:12 pm

HDMI button is for an input from a device that is not for sale anymore unless you can find it on line. I have used a HDMI to USB cheap convertor and found it worked if you select the EasyCap input but I had to have the audio from the Mic USB interface. I found an old C 920 camera online in fact I have two. These both work well with my Portsdown 4's but both have some break up issues when I use them with my Windows 10 PC and vMix! Still useable but gives the repeater group a worry as it is a similar issue the repeater had some time ago!!
Another way to get HDMI into a Portsdown is to send it via the network input from a PC or a cheap encoder but that is covered elsewhere...

Martin G8LCE

PS. The C 920 also gives stereo audio so monitoring the audio in stereo may be worth it....
( as in monitoring GB3NQ's HD repeater )

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:31 pm

The HDMI selection was originally intended to work with the LKV373A HDMI capture device when controlling the Jetson Nano. However, the LKV373A is difficult to obtain. There do seem to be a few on eBay, but you need to make sure that they are the Version 3 hardware.

More recently, when controlling a Jetson, the HDMI selection enables input from an ATEM Mini Pro HDMI mixer, but the Raspberry Pi 4 is not powerful enough to do this on its own.

On the Portsdown, it has been used to select the Elgato Camlink 4K HDMI capture device, which is currently available on Amazon UK for £89.99. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Cam-Lin ... B07K3FN5MR. There are limitations to its use as described here: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=8119, so please read before you purchase.

Dave, G8GKQ

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:19 pm

5" Small screen (DXRobot if I recall) works well but you have to rotate the touch screen - it will be documented somewhere. Both my PD4s have a built-in Rpi camera for reasons previously mentioned.......
For its functionality, its very worthwhile the real-estate it occupies....look closely underneath the toggle switch RHS....
Gareth
Portsdown Mule_1.jpg
Portsdown Mule_1.jpg (122.74 KiB) Viewed 14046 times

G4MJW

Post by G4MJW » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:06 pm

Hi all, many thanks for all the info.

Well, I think I will give the Pi Camera on its dedicated input although I may try an HDMI to USB dongle later. So many things need a USB port. Everything seems to need a USB socket. With just 4, they get used up very quickly.

Pluto, MiniTiouner USB, Pluto and SSD Drive. For me, an SSD is a must over an SD Card as I've lost 5 of them, mostly due to power cuts here in Cornwall. I do feel that a powered USB Hub is going to be needed.

I love Yr 5" screen. I was looking for a DFRobot screen couldn't find anyone with stock.

Once again . . Thank you everyone for all the info.

Steve

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:37 pm

Hi Steve,

So you live in Cornwall. I live in Falmouth and receive the GB3NQ repeater and stream it. I use a 12v powered USB Hub for my Portsdowns and it also powers the Portsdown so no 'earth loop' USB killing problems. I have two that are 12v in USB 3 and 10 output although only 7 are for extending the USB and 3 are for powering or charging. They are made by Sabrent Model HB-B7C3-EU. I use one powered output for the RPi and another for the 7" screen.
I also use the Portsdown on the local network to drive the Pluto which is powered in it's remote location on the roof near the aerial. The power to the Pluto and 2Watt poweramp are switched remotely with a 'Hive' app controlled switch.
Using the Portsdown to drive a remote Pluto requires setting up the Lan address for the Pluto in the right pages of the Portsdown. Transmitting DATV does not work if you don't get the settings correct so if you need help then try to get someone local to answer your questions or help with your setup. Tuesday nights at 8PM is the local activity night on GB3NQ and you can join in on the streamer page and possibly get help if you need...

Martin G8LCE

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”