WiFi Key Length

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
vk5rr

WiFi Key Length

Post by vk5rr » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:40 pm

Hello

I have tried to enter our WiFi key into the Portsdown only to find that it will not accept the full length, is there a reason for the artificial character length of the key that I can enter

Thanks

Ray VK5RR

g0mjw

Re: WiFi Key Length

Post by g0mjw » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:05 pm

It is probably limited to make it usable on a touch screen. I think the maximum is 63 characters but recommended 32. Even so, there is no point in having such a long pass phrase. I would think 16 sufficient to be too hard to guess. For now you will need to set it manually in the usual way, as you would when building a card.

Mike

vk5rr

Post by vk5rr » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:47 am

Hello Mike

Thanks for the info but we have too many devices on the network to go and change to a 16 character password always run long WiFi passwords

Have SSH'd into the pi and configured it thru the raspi-config program but would have been easier thru the Portsdown

Regards

Ray - VK5RR

gm1mfn

Post by gm1mfn » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:02 am

Most routers support multiple accounts, so you could create a separate account on your router for the Portsdown and give it a shorter password.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:31 pm

Thanks for pointing this out Ray

The overriding limitation is the touchscreen interface, specifically the keyboard function that I wrote which is used by many of the Portsdown user input screens. The string length input limit for that function is currently 23 characters and it would need a lot of testing before I could be confident that a change would not have adverse effects elsewhere.

However, the 15 character limit for a WiFi SSID was unnecessary, so I will increase that to 23 in the next Portsdown 4 update.

Dave

vk5rr

Post by vk5rr » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:01 am

Hello Dave

No problems, it is just that we have long passphase on all access to our routers for security reasons, and we do get reports of the numerous attacks daily on the system/s we have running

The SSID is no issue, only the complex passphase protecting the network, thanks again for assisting one and all

Regards

Ray - VK5RR

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”