Problems with wifi

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
i4wrm

Problems with wifi

Post by i4wrm » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:40 am

Good morning and thanks for reading me. I can't use the wi-fi despite having configured everything correctly (at least it seems to me). I have always used the network cable and now I wanted to try the WI-FI connection. I set the wi-fi network and Portsdown tells me that is connected and enabled, but if I try to download an update, Portsdown replies that it's not possible...I really can't figure out where I'm wrong..I also used the command
sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf
to write the configuration file
interface wlan0
static ip_address=192.168.1.30/24
static routers=192.168.1.2
static domain_name_servers=8.8.8.8
interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.1.31/24
static routers=192.168.1.2
static domain_name_servers=8.8.8.8
However, everything works fine with the network cable ..
Thanks and 73 de i4wrm Ros
Attachments
Versione
Versione
Versione.jpg (75.84 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
Unable
Unable
Unable.jpg (77.28 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
wifi ok
wifi ok
WIFI ok.jpg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
dhcpcd
dhcpcd
dhcpcd.jpg (131.82 KiB) Viewed 3037 times

g3yjr

Re: Problems with wifi

Post by g3yjr » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:14 pm

Where can you send packets to?

You could try pinging your router: ping 192.168.1.2

If that works you could try pinging google: ping 142.250.200.3

If that works and you can ping your DNS (ping 8.8.8.8), you could try google again, but requiring DNS: ping www.google.com

I haven't actually tried Raspberry Pi Wifi myself.

Good luck!

73 Graham

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:05 am

Another thing to do to test if the WiFi is working would be to look at a streamed repeater. https://batc.org.uk/live/gb3nq is usually showing something.
Menu 2 and bottom right.
Before this make sure your WiFi will see the Internet with some other device eg. a mobile phone or laptop.

Martin G8LCE

i4wrm

Post by i4wrm » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:50 pm

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Replying to Graham, I can't ping ..inside Portsdown and anyway I don't know how to do it. The problem is that with all the other devices (telephones, computers and various I have no problems.. my wi-fi network works fine). The raspberry wifi module works fine because it sees wifi networks and appears to connect. In fact the message I get from Portsdown is that the network is connected but in practice it doesn't work. Reply to Martin.. I also tried to receive streams from the various repeaters, and it only works if I plug in the cable. Differently in wi-fi "wating for stream ". I honestly don't know what to do anymore, even if all in all the system works fine with the network cable. In fact, I have to congratulate all of you at BATC because you've done a really good job. Thanks again 73 de i4wrm

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:36 am

Another thing to do is to see if your computer can see the Portsdown. On a Windows computer I use 'Advanced IP Scanner' to search my network. Your Portsdown will appear something like:

> raspberrypi 192.168.123.51 Raspberry Pi Trading Ltd E4:5F:01:14:B4:41

Look for the Raspberry Pi as manufacturer.

If you find it and you have a Portsdown 4 with the latest firmware, then you should have a > in the lefthand column. If you open a web browser and type in the IP of the Pi you should get the web interface page if you have enabled it on you Portsdown.

If you have the LAN cable connected as well you will get two IP addresses.

If this does not work, it could be something to do with your wifi router setup.

Martin G8LCE

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:31 pm

Hi Ros

You shouldn't need to play with any of the config files on the Portsdown to get WiFi to work on the Portsdown. I suspect that you may have an error in one of the edited config files that is causing a problem.

I would suggest starting with a new wiped card, and a new Portsdown build and then selecting the normal WiFi setup on Menu 3, WiFi Config.

If that does not work, I think that you may have a WiFi router or Raspberry Pi problem. So rebuild the card, start with a bare Raspberry Pi OS installation and see if you can get that to connect. If not, you should pose the question in the Raspberry Pi forum here: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/. If it does connect, then build Portsdown on top of it, and enable WiFi. That might work.

Dave

G8KOE

Post by G8KOE » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:43 pm

Hi,
I have a BT Hub Router and have had problem with other programs once connected with a cable can't change to WiFi until the router has released the connection. The WiFi connection would then worked. It took about 3hr before I could use WiFi.

Probably my findings of no help!

73's
Martin
G8KOE

i4wrm

Post by i4wrm » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:43 pm

Thanks Dave and Martin for the suggestions. I will try to do what you recommend. But I have to say that I have this problem on both Portsdowns that I built and two other amateur radio colleagues of mine have the same problem. I'll try to do as Dave suggested though. I will try with a new SD to do a clean install. Thanks again for all the advice and for your precious time that you dedicate to this wonderful project. 73 of i4wrm Ros

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:55 pm

Ros

The only other thing that I can think of is that, during the Portsdown build, I replace the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file with a new file with this content:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB
##STARTNW
##ENDNW
##STARTN2
##ENDN2
It may be that you need to change the Country Code, but I can't see why.

Dave

i4wrm

Post by i4wrm » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:59 pm

G8GKQ wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:55 pm
Ros

The only other thing that I can think of is that, during the Portsdown build, I replace the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file with a new file with this content:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB
##STARTNW
##ENDNW
##STARTN2
##ENDN2
It may be that you need to change the Country Code, but I can't see why.

Dave
Good evening Dave..that could be it. In fact I don't understand how here in Italy we have the same problem. Is it possible to apply the country=IT change from ssh with putty ? 73 i4wrm Ros

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”