Video Latency

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
Drgordon

Video Latency

Post by Drgordon » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:54 am

Good morning , at long last I have finished the construction of the Portsdown4 and MiniTiouner receiver. No major problems during construction and just a couple of things that maybe someone can put me right on. The first thing is that the shutdown button does nothing,nor does the associated LED.Secondly, I am using a Pi cam and was surprised to find that there is about a 5 second delay between an event occurring in front of the cam and what I see on my computer.Is that sort of delay normal? Apart from those 2 small points everything works wonderfully well; a special thanks to Dave for helping me to get Pluto back on track earlier in the year.
Best Wishes, Gordon

M5TXJ

Re: Video Latency

Post by M5TXJ » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:48 am

Hi Gordon

Afraid I can't answer about the latency as I use OBS and IPTS in rather than a Pi cam, but as for the shutdown button, have you enabled that feature via the ssh console menu?

73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Video Latency

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:45 am

Hi Gordon

You can enable the shutdown button (and the associated"active" LED) from Menu 3, System Config, SD Button Disabled/Enabled.

The 3-5 second delay between image capture and receiver display is normal. This is due to the time it takes to compress and encode the signal, and then the time it takes for the receiver to decode and display. The broadcasters use large power-hungry expensive encoders to achieve shorter delays but the humble Raspberry Pi takes a bit longer.

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”