Sudden appearance of error messages booting PD4

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
Basil

Sudden appearance of error messages booting PD4

Post by Basil » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:37 pm

For example, many errors regarding rtl-fm_presets.txt:

ERROR: Undefined parameter r0title in file: /home/pi/rpidatv/scripts/rtl-fm_presets.txt

If I keep tapping the screen and scroll through them all, PD4 completes booting and seems to work ok for my needs. I tried updating to the current software, but the exact same errors remain. Only thing that has occured recently is the whole PD4 assembly slipped from my hand and fell on the carpeted floor. No physical damage and it was not powered up at the time.

How might I fix this please? Thanks.

EDIT: I made a new SD card up and it's OK again now, but still curious as to what might have occurred?

Is it possible to write a complete spare card without having to put it in a PD4? Could you copy a new, working card? How do BATC make them up in bulk, for the shop? Linux is a bit of a black art to me :)

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Sudden appearance of error messages booting PD4

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:08 pm

That's a missing or corrupt rtl-fm_presets.txt file.

The cure is to delete the old one (if it exists) and download a new one from the command line:

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/rpidatv/scripts
rm rtl-fm_presets.txt
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/davecrump/portsdown4/master/scripts/rtl-fm_presets.txt
sudo reboot now
Have you played with the RTL-FM receiver recently?

Dave

Basil

Post by Basil » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:33 pm

Ok, thanks Dave, too late now to repair it by downloading the file afresh, I made a new card on a virgin SD, in case it was corrupted, and also wiped the original SD card and loaded a new Buster image onto it with the intention of probably keeping it as a spare.

No, I have never used the RTL SDR function, I just use a Minitiouner, 99% of the time standalone. A mystery!
Until now it's been perfect, so I can certainly forgive the odd glitch, especially in this weather :)

I hope you're feeling better.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:18 am

OK

The reason that I asked is that I have just released the RTL-SDR Bandviewer but have not tested the RTL-FM functionality in the Portsdown 4 (all testing was done on Portsdown 2020). I was worried that it might have corrupted the file.

Dave

Basil

Post by Basil » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:39 am

I can't see that being the case here as I was running a PD4 software version two updates back from the current when it occurred.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:01 am

RTL-SDR_FM works fine on my PD4 Dave, as does the Band-scanner. Excellent work :-)

Gareth

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”