Portsdown4 with 5" screen build thread

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
radiogareth

Portsdown4 with 5" screen build thread

Post by radiogareth » Wed May 04, 2022 4:01 pm

So its sat bare (well the screen has a frame) on my bench long enough, I'm now boxing up a second /P Portsdown 'mule'. As such, I'm mounting the RPI on the side of the box so that all the USB ports are available. But it would be nice to have Langstone compatibility too, so I want to include the required audio dongle in the box, with a small audio amp and speaker. I'm thinking of soldering its 4 wires direct to the RPi PCB, then blanking off the relevant port...assuming that would be required, I can't see dual USB devices on the same port working in harmony...but how do hubs work I wonder?
That leave me three ports for e.g. Lime mini, Pluto, Webcam, Mouse...not all at the same time.
I'd be interested to hear about any issues, or not....
Thanks
Gareth

g0mjw

Re: Portsdown4 with 5" screen build thread

Post by g0mjw » Wed May 04, 2022 4:51 pm

Have you considered my PCB Gareth?
image.jpg
image.jpg (401.63 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
The idea is to take the audio jack and route it to the DB25 via a header. The DB25 supports Dave's standard from last year that covered the test gear etc.

Mike

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Wed May 04, 2022 5:05 pm

Thanks Mike, No, I had not, but I have adopted a 'lower' standard and don't use the 25way, not on this one anyway. I'm almost considering if it will boot from a flash drive, into various such as PD4/Langstone, RPI desktop or some other useful stuff like 'radio programmes' for SSTV, sundry data modes etc.
|I'll see how it grows, but I do have just space for my DVM, select switch, RPI camera and useful LEDs panel.
Its also (the RPI) going in one of the PiHut 'aluminium armour' cases, the keep any stray RF quiet as its a plastic case.
Gareth

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Wed May 04, 2022 5:22 pm

Screen in and still works.
PD4_Mini.jpg
PD4_Mini.jpg (154.71 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Now got to mount the PiHut Heatsink back on some short standoffs for the back of the box. No point bolting it down as it won't be able to sink heat.....
Gareth

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri May 06, 2022 4:45 pm

Bit more progress today with the side panel designed (well, modified from my earleir PD4), printed and fitted.
Having sight of Vin and VPi shows adequatre supply and the built in PiCam means I can always offer 'local video' for when I leave the C920 behind....

PSU (eBay buck converter) and some sort of audio amp/speaker plus small fan and vents for the back part, plus a 'closing contact' relay for external amp control.
Gareth
PD_4_Mini.jpg
PD_4_Mini.jpg (122.61 KiB) Viewed 1852 times

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri May 06, 2022 4:51 pm

A PiHut "Aluminium Armour" (https://thepihut.com/products/aluminium ... berry-pi-4) was recommended as a good way of cooling it and shutting up any RF interference it may emit. External access to all the USB and RJ45 on the side.
Gareth
Aluminium armour RPI4.jpg
Aluminium armour RPI4.jpg (120.69 KiB) Viewed 1850 times

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”