Portsdown 4 wfi issue

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
g4bgq

Portsdown 4 wfi issue

Post by g4bgq » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:08 pm

Can someone tell me how to enable wifi when using the Portsdown SD card in a Raspberry Pi4b
I get an Internet not connected message and I cannot see any settings in the config file
It's a pain having to keep removing the card from the Pi as I want to use the update function.

G8IKP

Re: Portsdown 4 wfi issue

Post by G8IKP » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:08 pm

See the wiki, you basically need to putty into the pi and sign in and use the menu command and then set the Wifi in the config menu as here https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Initial_setup
John G8IKP

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:01 am

Hi Bob

The Portsdown is primarily designed to be configured with a wired network connection. Once configured, it is then designed to be used with no internet connection at all in most modes.

Although a wireless connection can be configured, I DO NOT RECOMMEND executing Portsdown updates over a wireless connection as any glitches can cause the update to fail unpredicatably.

That said, I have recently been working on adding the cabability to configure a new WiFi connection from the touchscreen (WiFi Config Menu accessed from Menu 3).

So, I recommend that you use a wired connection to update your Portsdown 4 to the latest version (from Menu 3, check for update). If you have not updated for a while this could take up to an hour or so; be patient. If you want to live dangerously, after the reboot you could attempt an update again, and you will be offered the Dev Update. If you accept this, you will find the WiFi Config menu gets populated with functionality to connect to WiFi. However - please remember that it is still undergong beta testing.......

Dave, G8GKQ

g4bgq

Post by g4bgq » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:37 pm

Thanks Dave, all now working on wifi and cable and updated.

g4bgq

Post by g4bgq » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:48 pm

I forgot to say that the web control works well over wifi.

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”