New Raspberry Pi OS - Bullseye

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

New Raspberry Pi OS - Bullseye

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:56 am

Yesterday, the latest version of the Raspberry Pi Operating System was released https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspbe ... -bullseye/. This version is called Bullseye (following the naming convention for Debian releases, using Toy Story characters) and it replaces the current version used in the Portsdown 4, Portsdown 2020, Ryde, Videosource and WinterHill, which is Buster.

There are some major changes in this release, so I will not be rushing to migrate Portsdown to Bullseye. I will initially concentrate on Portsdown 4, then look at Ryde and Portsdown 2020. WinterHill migration will take even longer.

When the changes are made:
  • Portsdown 4 (Buster) will be replaced with Portsdown 4 Bullseye.
  • Portsdown 2020 will be replaced with Portsdown 3 Bullseye.
  • Ryde (Buster) will be replaced with Ryde Bullseye.
  • Videosource (Buster) will be repaced with Videosource Bullseye.
Until then, please continue to use the recommended versions of Buster for Portsdown and Ryde card builds.

Dave, G8GKQ

g0mjw

Re: New Raspberry Pi OS - Bullseye

Post by g0mjw » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:22 am

I accidentally downloaded it to test my PI Zero W2. That device is not really up to running the desktop, web browsing was painfully slow, I didn't attempt to run VLC in H265, but it was interesting it could even load a desktop at all given it only costs $15.

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:09 am

A brief update on the new Bullseye OS. Portsdown will not be migrating to Bullseye as soon as I had hoped. Two major issues:
  • The method of driving the 7 inch touchscreen has been revised. This should not be insurmountable, but at present I am unable to draw any of the Portsdown Menus.
  • Native support for the OMX H264 encoder has been withdrawn. This is a much bigger problem as all Portsdown H264 transmissions (except DVB-S2 on the Pluto) use this encoder and so another method of generating H264 transport streams will need to be developed.
Grateful for any tested suggestions of how I might overcome these 2 issues.

In the meantime, support and development of the Portsdown capabilities on the Buster OS will continue.

Dave, G8GKQ

VK3MN

Post by VK3MN » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:50 am

There are a few reports surfacing saying the bullseye version is very fussy on power supply, so a good quality supply fixes the problem.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:39 am

Unfortunately, a good quality power supply does not fix either of these issues.

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”