Is Portsdown 4 to PlutoSDR via ethernet possible?

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
Basil

Is Portsdown 4 to PlutoSDR via ethernet possible?

Post by Basil » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:06 am

I now have a working SSB setup to the QO-100 satellite using a Pluto SDR, an Analog Devices pre amp and an LG Labs 20W PA. The Pluto, pre amp and PA are mounted in a watertight box at the dish, which is a 1.8m prime focus. All works well, I connect to the outside set up from the shack via a 40 foot or so ethernet cable and an ethernet to USB adaptor at the Pluto, andI also feed 12 volts to the set up from the shack. Buck and boost regulators in the external box provide 22V to the PA and 5V to the pre amp and Pluto.

I now want to avoid duplicating stuff unnecessarily to try digital ATV. I have built and had working a Minitiouner and a Portsdown 4.

Can I hook up the Portsdown 4 to the Pluto over the existing ethernet cable? If it's possible, how do I do this please?

If that is possible I then need to see how to supply 18v to the LNB and change over from the current 12v remotely.... I have been manually rotating the LNB fed with 12v for now.

Thanks. 2E0ILY Chris.

g0mjw

Re: Is Portsdown 4 to PlutoSDR via ethernet possible?

Post by g0mjw » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi Chris,

The Portsdown 4 expects a USB connected Pluto by default but it should be possible. Have a look at the scripts and the Wiki. https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_4 - you might need to do some script editing, I can't remember.

It won't drive it with OBS and an ffmpeg script but in that case you don't really need to Portsdown at all. In fact you don't need it now if you have a mobile phone able to send RTMP to the Pluto.

I am surprised the Pluto is driving a 40ft Ethernet cable. I found that to be a problem.

A relay can be used to switch the polarity, either with a wire connection or perhaps put at Ethernet hub at the dish and attach an Arduino with ethernet to switch a relay and at the same time measure some parameters like the temperature and RF power? You will need to activate PTT but I assume you can do that already.

Mike

G6GZH

Post by G6GZH » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:43 pm

Hi Chris,

I'll just add that on the Portsdown 4 you can set the IP address for the remote Pluto from M3->Pluto Config->Enter Pluto IP

That should be all it needs though I've found that the Pluto sometimes needs a restart and I have a relay (controlled by a Raspberry Pi GPIO) in my remote box in order to be able to power cycle it.

David

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, I was a bit bewildered by firmware updates not being compatible and indeed, whether I need the Pluto at all. Making one dish and a single LNB do SSB and DATV with just ethernet and power to the shack got confusing to me. Plus I should have spent more on a bigger waterproof enclosure, things are already tight.

In my ideal situation I would have separate dishes and gear for SSB voice via SDR Console, and for DATV, but I have managed to fit one 1.8 meter dish in so no neighbours or passers by can see it. Another dish with a good view of QO-100 would be much harder to discretely deploy... Plus `er indoors would no doubt strongly harass me about 2 big dishes ;)

I will now soon have a play with the Portsdown 4 and the Pluto, thanks again and all the best to everyone. 2E0ILY Chris, in a very warm and pleasant north Shropshire.

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:02 am

I find that the Portsdown 4 works quite well with a Pluto via the LAN. The Pluto can be a long way away via the router. Even Langstone can be used. This does take some setup but the main thing I have found is that the Pluto needs to be switched off and on and the Portsdown 4 needs to be rebooted to make the system work sometimes. If your system does not work try a reboot and power cycle!

Martin G8LCE

g3yjr

Post by g3yjr » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:24 pm

Chris,

these were my last notes on connecting Portsdown4/Langstone to Pluto via ethernet.
https://g3yjr.wordpress.com/2020/12/01/ ... -ethernet/

I hope that helps?

73 Graham

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks Martin and Graham, if I suffer with losing the Pluto from the LAN I will get a Y cable and try that, much appreciated.

Good write up Graham, thanks for sharing this sort of stuff :)

G8IKP

Post by G8IKP » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:59 am

Good article in CQ DATV 94 April 21 covering this topic

QO-100 All Modes Station Mixed
Remote Station Based on SDR ADALMPLUTO
John G8IKP

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”