Dead 7" touch screen?

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
M0RVB

Dead 7" touch screen?

Post by M0RVB » Thu May 27, 2021 4:22 pm

Hi

I have a Portsdown 2020 (scattered across the bench, no box!) which was working fine when I packed it away a while ago. Now I actually have some time to play the touch screen just displays a scattering of vertical white bars. I realise this is a screen thing and not a Portsdown thing but are these screens generally fragile and just sulk and die? The software itself is all fine and drivable via ssh.

I've checked the ribbon cable and re-seated it and the cable from the screen's PCB to the screen itself with no change.

Weirdly I also have an LCD video monitor destined for a 5.6GHz analogue setup which has also died. Seems the LCD destroying fairies have been in the shack.

Jeremy
M0RVB
Jeremy
M0RVB

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Dead 7" touch screen?

Post by G8GKQ » Thu May 27, 2021 4:57 pm

Hi Jeremy

No, the 7 inch screens are generally reliable. Check the supply voltage at the screen as a fisrt step.

Dave

M0RVB

Post by M0RVB » Thu May 27, 2021 6:38 pm

Thanks Dave. Volts are good, I've tried powering it directly from another supply as well, same thing. I don't have a spare Pi either so I can't rule that out, although it works fine via ssh.

The screen is seeing the Pi, at least in some sense as it blanks when the Pi is shut down but power still applied.

Jeremy
Jeremy
M0RVB

M0RVB

Post by M0RVB » Thu May 27, 2021 6:54 pm

I just noticed the touchscreen itself is working, just no display. I'm basing this on ssh'ing in and shutting portsdown down to Linux, then typing 'gui' which results in the ssh session displaying (presumably) debug info. Touching the screen then results in messages via ssh such as 'x=596 y=380 ScreenState = NormalMenu'.
Jeremy
M0RVB

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”