Using Pluto via ethernet USB adapter

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
F1CJN_alain

Re: Using Pluto via ethernet USB adapter

Post by F1CJN_alain » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:24 pm

hi all

I am running the Portsdown4, for DVB-T tranmission tests with the Pluto connected by IP.
It runs fine at 1000KHz bandwith but I tried with with a 1700KHz bandwith with no result. It runs to 1300Khz in DVB-T, no more.
Above 1300KHz the spectrum is narrowed on my spectrum scope.

I think it would be useful to push the working bandwith, if possible, to 1.7MHz because it is a standard for DVB-T and low cost receivers as RPi TV-HAT.

73's to all

Alain F1CJN

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:01 pm

Hi Alain

I have tried to make the Pluto work at 1.7 MHz, but there appears to be a problem specific to the Pluto. The LimeSDR, using almost the same software, manages 2 MHz bandwidth (as below) and works well at 1.7 MHz.

Not sure if the problem is in the Pluto USB driver software in the transmitter, or the Pluto on-board USB interface. I suspect the latter.

Perhaps someone with more expertise on the Pluto could take a look at it?

Dave, G8GKQ
Attachments
snap0.jpg
snap0.jpg (156.8 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

F1CJN_alain

Post by F1CJN_alain » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:33 pm

Hi Dave

I have just update with the april 13, new 202104102 version and it runs perfectly with the Lime Mini.
Thanks a lot

73s
Alain F1CJN

g3yjr

Re: Using Pluto via ethernet USB adapter - Y cable

Post by g3yjr » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:33 pm

The Y cable arrived today & I used it to hook the ethernet-USB adapter to the Pluto. I patched the adapter into the ethernet switch, so onto my local network. The Portsdown/Langstone box is on the same network (not recommended, I know, but I'm just testing). I plugged nothing into the Pluto's DC (USB type) socket.

A little light lit on the ethernet switch. I pinged Pluto from a PC and the packets went fine.

I switched to Langstone. This found the Pluto & showed a waterfall screen.

I tried transmitting a testcard with Portsdown, 333SR and S2-QPSK, to the Pluto's rubber duck antenna. I received this (1mW-ish?) across the bench & got a lovely constellation and testcard on Minitioune.

So initial indications are that the software is doing its stuff and it was a hardware problem, now fixed by feeding the DC supply in at the central USB socket on the Pluto. Maybe the Pluto needs some power input on its USB port in order to activate it for data?

So thanks Mike and others for your suggestions.

73 Graham

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”