Portsdown 4 still controllable via console interface (Putty) ?

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
ON1BTE

Portsdown 4 still controllable via console interface (Putty) ?

Post by ON1BTE » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 am

Hello
Is the Portsdown 4, like Portsdown 2020 still controllable with Putty via the console interface?
When I enter the command /home/pi/rpidatv/scripts/menu.sh menu via putty, I get 'Portsdown DATV TX Version 202102250 By F5OEO and the BATC Team'.
I can apparently configure anything through the console.
I have tried with FW1.30 (MiniLime Selected) but also DVB FW (LimeDVB Selected) but I can only get it to produce a carrier at the set frequency ?
Patrick, ON1BTE

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Portsdown 4 still controllable via console interface (Putty) ?

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:47 am

Hi Patrick

The basic functions are still controllable from PuTTY, but only the older features. I am no longer updating the console menu in Portsdown 4, as it is designed as a unit to be operated from the 7 inch screen.

Once the Lime has the correct firmware (1.30) is should work in that mode. Not sure about the DVB firmware.

Dave, G8GKQ

ON1BTE

Post by ON1BTE » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:40 pm

Hi Dave,

thanks for the quick reply.
I know the intention is to use it with a 7 inch screen but I still wanted to try it via the putty console.
I have found out that it has something to do with the Source selection.
I have now quickly selected CARD16MPEG-2, CARDHDMPEG-2 and IPTSIN via the Putty console and the Portsdown 4 seems to be broadcasting with both FW1.30 and DVBFW. When I select CARDH264, it does not broadcast.
Patrick - ON1BTE

ON1BTE

Post by ON1BTE » Thu May 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Today I installed PD 4 for the 2nd time.
This completely according to https://github.com/BritishAmateurTelevi ... portsdown4
This was done in the hope that this time it would succeed in transmitting H264 but this does not work. I still control my RPI4 4GB via Putty Console. At the top of the menu I see 'Portsdown DATV TX version 202105190 By F5OEO and the BATC Team'. I have already tried it with the std FW1.30 and the LimeDVB FW. A fellow amateur ON1AVO also operates his PD4 via Putty and he can produce H264. We don't understand.
MiniLimeSDR (LimeDVB):
Device name: LimeSDR-Mini
Expansion name: UNSUPPORTED
Firmware version: 6
Hardware version: 1
Protocol version: 1
Gateware version: 1
Gateware revision: 30
Gateware target: LimeSDR-Mini
Serial number: 0x1d3ac7ff21caaa
Free connection... OK
With RPI3B+ and PD2020 H264 works fine ... .
What can be wrong?
Patrick - ON1BTE

ON1BTE

Post by ON1BTE » Tue May 25, 2021 9:05 am

Hello,

After several other unsuccessful attempts with other SD cards, I decided to apply the elimination principle ... .
I contacted Corné, ON7MOR, who is using a PD4 + MiniLimeSDR + 7" display. To cut a long story short, it comes down to the fact that when a 7" display is connected to the RPI4, one can use Putty Cosole to transmit with H264. If you disconnect the 7" display, you cannot... .
Can we consider this as a bug? Can this be solved in a next release?

73 - Patrick - ON1BTE

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue May 25, 2021 10:44 am

Patrick

As stated on the Portsdown 4 Wiki Page https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_4, "The Portsdown 4 system has been specifically designed to be used with the Raspberry Pi 4 and the official Raspberry Pi 7 inch touchscreen". You will also note that the "barebones system" listing includes the 7 inch touchscreen.

I do not have a test/development rig for the Portsdown 4 without a screen (as the system is designed to be used WITH a screen). I do know that the Portsdown 4 will function without a touchscreen for Composite Video input through an EasyCap. However, it does not work in Test Card modes. This is because the system has been designed around the 7 inch screen.

So it is not a bug, it is a facility that was never intended to be provided, and is not easy to provide. The Portsdown 2020 provides comprehensive ssh control facilities.

Sorry, but there are only so many hours in the day to write software......

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”