Portsdown Pluto DVB-T OK but no DVB-S2

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
g7ntg

Re: Portsdown Pluto DVB-T OK but no DVB-S2

Post by g7ntg » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:27 pm

pluto Build v0.32 same as when I got it

g7ntg

Post by g7ntg » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 am

Just as an aside, I tried to load pluto drivers on my laptop but it doesn't load any USB so DATV Express can't find it. I also loaded pluto drivers and DATV express successfully on both my windows 7 PC's and when I try to run it , I get the message MSVCR120.dll is missing on both PC's! I have loaded Visual C++ 32 and 64 on both PC's. Now I am going to try Linux on my dual boot laptop and my dual boot PC.
I seem to remember it taking me several weeks to get DATV Express working on the same laptop 2 years ago. Lime mini works great on all 3! That's probably why I got rid of my first Pluto!

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:19 am

I had similar trouble when trying to install DVBExpress on a new to me laptop (I7 Win 10). As part of the various software I was installing I added SDRConsole and after that, DVBExpress stopped asking for the drivers and worked......no idea why though...
Gareth

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:57 am

So I just took my shiny new Pluto (s/w rev C and hardware rev D with external clock in and earth mods already done :-) ) out of its box, did the frequeny extension mods and then loaded F5OEO firmware as listed on this wiki page (I think it's "for the brave").

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_4_Pluto - download https://wiki.batc.org.uk/File:FIRM2101RC.zip

I already had DATVexpress s/w set up on my PC and that worked straight away on DVB-S2.

Plugged the Pluto in to a Portsdown 4 and DVB-S2 and DVB-T worked as expected.
Edit - just read Jim's original post so tried the C920 which does seem to work on DVB-S2.

I did notice the Service information is not correct - doesn't list my callsign etc.
Noel

g7ntg

Post by g7ntg » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:28 am

Hi Noel
I already did that and it works fine on DVB-T but not at all on DVB-S or DVB-S2
I won't try again because it says "you cannot overwrite this file" unless someone advises me differently!

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:17 am

Jim, I found that, V17 only did DVB-T for me, I had to revert to V14(??I think, it was weeks ago...) to use the other modulations.
Since I can now do it all from PD4, I find that easier as I'm not yet into using OBS for everything not least since it needs a PC and for portable use, even with a laptop, its another problem.....
Gareth

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:19 am

Hi Jim -

Strange. I wonder - can you explain EXACTLY what you mean by does not work n DVB-S/S2. How are you trying to use it? Are you using the Portsdown or are you sending it a UDP stream and controlling through the web interface?

I think you said earlier hadn't tried the web interface before. If you have still not accessed it, it's possible there are some settings set up there that are incorrect. That might be why it doesn't work. Can you perhaps post the screenshot? Do you have MS teams?

Mike

g7ntg

Post by g7ntg » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:26 pm

Hi Mike
I plug the pluto straight into my portsdown 4 and with the settings DVB-T, H264, output to Pluto,4;3, pi cam, 1255MHZ , 333, 2/3,pluto pwr 0 , I get a nice vertical sided flat top spectrum and output power is -11dBm.
When I change the settings to S2PSK and everything else the same , I get no output at all
same no output with DVBS, 8PSK, 16APSK
with DVB-T it works on QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM,guard1/4, 1/8, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 with no problems.
just no DVBS

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:39 pm

Hi Jim

I'm prepared to be proved wrong but, as far as I can tell, you don't seem to have ever programmed your Pluto successfully with the correct software at this link. https://wiki.batc.org.uk/File:FIRM2101RC.zip

The Pluto will work perfectly with DVB-T using the conventional (stock) software as all the hard work is done in the Raspberry Pi for that mode. For DVB-S and DVB-S2, it needs the exact correct version of F5OEO's custom firmware to work, as the modulation calculations are all programmed into and executed in the Pluto's processor.

Clearly it would help if I could make the Portsdown at least report the Pluto loaded software version. It's on the to-do list.

Dave

g7ntg

Post by g7ntg » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi Dave
Ok thanks for that - I will have another go with Evariste's firmware - after all I got out of bricking it before - so here goes!

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”