Portsdown 4 Software Update

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Portsdown 4 Software Update

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:32 pm

I have just published a small, but very important, update to the Portsdown 4 (Raspberry Pi 4) software (202102150).

Firstly, it fixes a bug (introduced in the last release) that broke the MPEG-2 transmit capability.

Secondly, it changes the way that the Pluto is addressed in the transmit script. This should allow the Pluto to be connected through a LAN (for DVB-S and DVB-S2, not DVB-T), rather than by USB. My preference is that you connect the Pluto by USB, but this change may allow other configurations to work.

Thanks to Clive G3JGA and Michel HB9DUG for helping with this release.

Please report any new bugs here.

Dave, G8GKQ

g8lce

Re: Portsdown 4 Software Update

Post by g8lce » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:14 am

Hi Dave,

I just tried transmitting via a Pluto the other day (while using the last version of software) after connecting the Pluto via the LAN. To my surprise the system worked perfectly! I have had the odd problem doing this in the past. It was the fact that I had just connected the Pluto to my network without altering the IP address or anything. The reason this may have worked so well may be that I have a secondary address range setup on my LAN for 192.168.2.(0 - 255) .
So I was going to say well done but now I will try the update.........

Martin G8LCE

PS As I had two Portsdowns and one with the Pluto still via USB, I was wondering if this would cause any problems as both Plutos are the same address but the USB Pluto was not seen by the network. (Not that I thought it would be)

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:06 am

Hi Dave,

So I have updated to the latest software 202102150 from 202101310 and the Pluto does not work! I tried the other Portsdown 4 which still has the older software and it worked fine. The TX mode was S2QPSK 437MHz 333K SR H264 FEC 1/2 in both cases.

Martin G8LCE

PS. The second Portsdown was also connected only by 5GHz WiFi so even more surprised it worked!

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi Martin

To access 2 connected Plutos reliably from one Portsdown, you will need to give them separate IP Addresses and then tell the Portsdown (with the latest software update) which IP address/Pluto you want it to use.

The only fully supported configuration is a Pluto connected by USB. I can't test other configurations (network-connected Plutos) as everyone's network/router is different. I made a change in the latest software update which increases the chance of network-connected Plutos working; I can do no more.

Your previously-working solution relies on your router telling your Portsdown what IP address the device known as "pluto.local" is using. Not all routers do this reliably, and that means that the Portsdown cannot access the Pluto. Hence I have changed the Portsdown to refer to the Pluto's IP address; this should provide a more robust solution once set up properly.

Dave

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:18 pm

So after Dave's answer I have now got my Plutos sorted.
Here are a few clues:
First thing is to give you Pluto a LAN network address.
Use Advanced IP Scanner to find your LAN network addresses including your Router which is also (usually) the gateway address.
Pick a free address for your Pluto
Using the above information plug your Pluto into your computer (mine is a Windows 10 )
The Pluto is seen as a new drive and should be seen in the 'This PC' menu and also open a window showing contents:
Pluto plugged into PC.png
Pluto plugged into PC.png (102.24 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
Now open the file config (probably by double clicking on it) If you need to use a program to open it then choose Notepad.
You can now edit or fill the line shown in 2 below
Enter the address you have chosen for your Pluto, the netmask is probably already correct and the gateway address is probably your router's address.
These must be addresses in the address range of your router and have the first three groups matching your system. In my case 192.168.123.xxx
While editing this you can change the Pluto's name if you need, for example if it is your second Pluto change it to pluto-2 (see 1 )
Note that I have changed the frequency correction in position 3 as my Pluto was slightly off frequency.
Once you have edited these you can save the file back to the Pluto and then 'eject' the Pluto from the computer by right clicking on the Pluto in the file explorer's left hand plane and choose Eject.
Now plug the Pluto into a USB to Network adapter and connect to your network as Described in the WiKi
Put the Pluto address into the Portsdown (menu 3 - Pluto Config)
It should now work if you choose the correct settings ( works best at lower SR)

Martin G8LCE
Attachments
Pluto config txt.png
Pluto config txt.png (59.64 KiB) Viewed 3288 times

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:45 am

Further to my last post above...

Langstone is affected by these changes I have made!
The renaming of the Pluto (in position 1 above) stops the Langstone working. Keep any Langstone pluto as pluto not pluto-2 etc.
The IP address of the Pluto when connected to the Portsdown by USB is the address under Network and the IP address of the Pluto when on the Network via a USB to LAN adapter is under USB so don't get confused!!!

It probably is best to load Langstone on your Portsdown using the Pluto plugged into the USB of the Portsdown before trying the USB Network configuration.

However I find that Langstone works over the LAN network once you sort out these addresses (use the USB network address when setting up Langstone to use over the network.
It would seem you could put the Pluto at the aerial for reception.

Martin G8LCE

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:34 pm

As you have found Martin, Langstone uses Pluto.local as the initial way of finding the Pluto. At the moment you can’t change its name. I may see if I can get it to use the same configuration if it is installed on a Portsdown system.

Langstone will work over a network but it may give variable results. It depends how much other traffic is on the network.

Colin G4EML

g4bvk

Post by g4bvk » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi Dave,

I’m having a few problems running my Pluto with the Portsdown 4 since the last update. A few weeks ago updated my Portsdown to carry out a test using DVB-T and that worked fine with no problems, but when I returned back to using DVB-S2 things were not working correctly.

1) The only source it will transmit is the test card and sometimes it’s reluctant to do that.
2) Portsdown will no longer recognise any of my webcams.
3) Portsdown will recognise the Pi cam, but will not go into transmit.
4) The Pluto continues to transmit after Portsdown as stopped transmitting. This can last 20-30 seconds before Pluto stops. There has been times when the only way to make it stop is to reset it.

I have tried the Portsdown with my Lime and that all seems to be working fine. I’m not too sure if anyone else has had an issue with the update?

Ken G4BVK

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:38 am

Hi Ken

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.

The Test Card over-run (4) is normal with Pluto - I have not yet worked out how to prevent it.

Some questions:

Have you tried with only the PiCam and USB Audio dongle (and Pluto) connected?

What Webcam have you been trying?

Have you changed the wiring arrangement recently? The reason I ask is that this could be a USB Voltage issue; it would explain a lot of the symptoms. Are you using a powered hub? Have you checked the voltage on the RPi (GPIO Pins) accurately recently?

Dave

g4bvk

Post by g4bvk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:08 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back. I have tried feeding the Pluto with a separate DC source. I did check the Pi’s supply and it was set at 5.09v. I have tried with the Pi cam and the Pluto only connected. Although the Portdown shows the picture from the Pi cam, but doesn’t go into transmit. I have also tried changing the USB cable to the Pluto.

The USB cameras are the C270 and the new C920. I have only just bought the C920, so this is the first time I have tried it. The odd thing is that Portsdown can see the camera and display a picture in the “C920 monitor” mode. I have used the C270 many times before with no problems.

The only changes I have made is running the update. If I run the Portsdown with the Pluto in DVB-T all of the cameras work fine.
The puzzle for me is that it work fine in DVB-T, but as soon as I go into DVB-S2 it all goes wrong.

Ken G4BVK

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”