New approach to H265 for the Portsdown

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
roland_F8CHK

Re: New approach to H265 for the Portsdown

Post by roland_F8CHK » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Hi John,
Yes, found the same problem! not resolved on this side...
Roland.

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:30 am

Morning Roland,

A small update for you, after unfortunately updating to Ubuntu 20.04 I had to wipe my SD card and reinstall the software. Anyway all running again and like you I now have OBS 26 with virtual camera. So I thought I'd try it with Evariste dvbsdr software, after a few changes within the code I now have it working quite well. I've also got pulseaudio to act as a virtual microphone, there is a slight lipsink but not enough to worry about. I'll put the method up later today when back from work.

73 and stay safe John

roland_F8CHK

Post by roland_F8CHK » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:57 am

Hi John,
Good news! I am also looking for a way to have a virtual microphone, but no success for the moment...I can use the C920 mike, or a usb mike, but not audio coming from OBS, so I am interested by your pulse audio work!
Have a nice sunday!
73,Roland F8CHK

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:48 am

Do not use the built in virtual camera in OBS. Use the "virtualcam" plug in as before. The development team did not understand and I am not sure do yet that the virtual camera microphone was and still is needed. You can get around it by using a virtual audio cable in windows or it's equivalent in linux but you will have to spend time getting the sync correct.

Mike

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:38 pm

Hi Mike, Roland and I are doing this on the Jetson Nano and as far as I remember the plugin does not work. By using v4l2loopback with OBS v26 the virtual camera works but no audio. So the workaround is to setup a virtual speaker with pulseaudio and whilst the sync between audio and video is not perfect its close enough.

So to setup a virtual speaker run this small script

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

pactl load-module module-null-sink sink_name=Virtual-Speaker sink_properties=device.description=Virtual-Speaker

pactl load-module module-remap-source source_name=Remap-Source master=Virtual-Speaker.monitor

Now open OBS and go into advance audio properties and change all your audio sources to monitor only, when you've done this open setting, audio then change monitoring device to "monitor of virtual-speaker"

OBS.jpg
OBS.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Now edit nanoencode.sh,

Change "VIDEOSOURCE_HDMI") to "VIDEOSOURCE_USB_CAM")
Then change device=/dev/video0 to video1 and replace mux. alsasrc device=plughw:2 with mux. pulsesrc device=Virtual-Speaker.monitor.
One other thing to make sure is the video resolution and fps are the same in OBS as the scripts in dvbsdr.

Hopefully this all makes sense and works, I still use IPTS into the portsdown as its a lot easier to change frequency when on QO100.

73 John

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Oh one other thing don't forget to start the virtual camera before running ./jetson_nano.sh

roland_F8CHK

Post by roland_F8CHK » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:40 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the infos. I had to rebuild my Jetson SD, due to a crash yesterday evening...Spent some hours on that today! and now I have OBS 26 as you, and the virtual speaker is working great!
I do not use Portsdown 4 but one ffmpeg script and udp to Pluto.

I have some trouble with the virtual camera on this version of OBS, my video is "shaking" a bit sometimes. Previously, until yesterday..., I used OBS 25 and the plugin and this was working fine so I don't know where is the problem.
If I run the script only with my C920, without OBS, the video is ok.

Anyway, tnx for the virtual speaker, this is exactly what we needed!
Roland F8CHK

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:54 am

Sorry to hear you had to rebuild the SD as well, glad the virtual speaker was of use though. I found the thing with virtual camera in OBS, was to limit FPS to 15 and keep the video resolution under 720 and it runs quite smoothly. I do think the Jetson is right on it limit's of performance as all 4 cores run at 80%+. I have seen that some have managed to over clock the Jetson to 2GHz so may try that next ?

One other thought have you tried the H265 Gstreamer script in Evariste's nano_encode.sh using the mods I made ? I would be interested to see how it compares to ffmpeg only ?

Ok stay safe John

roland_F8CHK

Post by roland_F8CHK » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi John,
With a small delay...I powered up my Jetson and Lime this afternoon as they were collecting dust, hi! I made your modifications in F5OEO scripts and it is running nicely with OBS and virtual cam.
It would be very nice if we could use the Pi-camera, connected to Jetson, with OBS...because I find this camera really good! but that's another story I think!
Wish you the best for the end of this year and hopefully a great 2021!
Roland F8CHK

G3XOU

Post by G3XOU » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:10 am

Hi John,
I'm in the process of building a Jetson NanoBox as per CQ-TV articles over the last few months.

First problem I found was that the LKV373A V3 sender has gone end-of-life but according the LENKENG web site the new model is the LKV383 V3 which they say is compatible with the LKV373A V3 so I ordered one via eBay (£39.60). It arrived on Saturday so I took the plunge and upgraded it to the Yodeck firmware as per CQ-TV 269 preparing myself for a "bricked" sender! Well I'm pleased to report that the Yodeck firmware upgrade worked perfectly checking the multicast output using VLC.(Screenshot attached).

All went well with the build of the NanoBox as per CQ-TV 265, 268 and 269 - Jetson Test Card was fine monitoring it with my MiniTiouner.

However I'm now stuck with a big problem in that I cannot get any video on the transmission using the C920 camera, Pi Camera or HDMI Sender. I am using the latest version of the Portsdown 2020 software. All the Jetson Nano control functions, setups etc work perfectly when selected on Portsdown 2020. With just the C920 plugged into a USB socket on the Jetson, selecting the C920 as the Video Source, and transmitting get a perfect transmission on the MiniTiouner but no Video and the two blue LEDs on the C920 do not illuminate. Changing to the Jetson Test card with with either H264 or H265 and the video is fine. (see screenshot) I've tried connecting the C920 via a powered USB hub with the hub connected to the Jetson in case it was a volts drop issue powering it from the Jetson USB port. With the C920 removed I plugged in the Pi Camera and an audio dongle with the same results. Using the HDMI Sender gives the same results. (See attached screenshot). I can see the LAN activity LED pulsing when the HDMI Video input is selected on the Portsdown but no video is being received on MiniTiouner. I have checked the multicast output from the HDMI sender with another PC connected to the TP-Link TL-WR841N router using VLC - all OK.

I've done two SD software builds on separate 32GB SD cards - still the same problem.

The Jetson Nano is the 4GB model with the updated PCB B01 with two Pi Camera connectors. I've just wondering if they have changed something on the B01 Jetson Nano that has made it non-compatible with the DATV software build as per CQ-TV 269.

Do you have any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

73, Dave G3XOU
Attachments
Using HDMI sender.jpg
Using HDMI sender.jpg (569.8 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
Jetson Test card.jpg
Jetson Test card.jpg (628.96 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
VLC CODEC info LKV383 V3.jpg
VLC CODEC info LKV383 V3.jpg (77.65 KiB) Viewed 2487 times

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”