New approach to H265 for the Portsdown

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
darrenrainer

Re: New approach to H265 for the Portsdown

Post by darrenrainer » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi all,

I have started learning linux and trying to get OBS H265 to Portsdown working fully.
I have H265 working from the Portsdown together with a Jetson Nano (B01 version) to a point. The Raspberry Pi camera (connected to the Nano) works fine but I cannot get the Portsdown to swap from from the PI camera to my valid H265 udp stream I have. When I select on the Portsdown Encoder "IPTS in" and Output to "Jtsn Lime" and press TX the audio dongle on the Nano flashes and it sends out the Pi cam video instead of the udp stream. I have tested the UDP stream by sending it to another PC with VLC and it plays the udp stream ok on the pc. If I then point the udp stream to the Portsdown IP address:10000 it just still plays the Pi camera on the Nano no matter what input settings I choose. Any ideas ?

Current setup:
Portsdown (latest build), Jetson Nano B01 with PiCam V2 ,audio dongle (on Nano) with Lime mini and OBS on another Windows PC. OBS is streaming the RTMP stream to Nano (no errors) and then the Nano is successfully generating a H265 udp stream (tested on VLC on another PC).

Also how do you turn the TX on and Off using if not doing it from the Portsdown eg just running the script from the Nano ? I have written the individual scripts for each bit rate and SRC as described in earlier posts but still have to change the Portsdown Encoder button to H264 or H265 to swap the codec (followed by a brief press of the TX button). I can then successfully TX H264 or H265 with the PiCam.

I then set the Portsdown to input "IPTS in" in which should play the udp stream and not the PiCam. I have made sure the Portsdown is in H265 when generating the H265 stream from the Nano.

I can put the Portsdown into transmit and see my PiCam H265 stream from the Nano being displayed ok on the Minitiourner with no problem whilst at the same time I can point the Nano generated udp stream to another PC with VLC and view the OBS output also. So the problem is the Nano will only show the PiCam even though I know the H265 udp stream is available.

Running out of ideas what to try next. Is it because I have a B01 version of the Nano ?

Also I had problems originally with no video at all. I ran the dvbsdr script called restore_original_firmware.sh on the nano and then H264 and H265 worked from the PiCam. Not sure how I check what firmware the lime is now running when it is connected to the Nano.
73s
Darren G4VTQ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi Darren

Sorry, but I think that you are trying to do something that I have not yet built into the Portsdown software. This section of the Wiki https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Jetson_Nano#Up ... ouchscreen states that the 3 available sources are HDMI, Pi Cam or C920. Nothing else is implemented for the Jetson.

What I think you are trying to do is:
  1. Use OBS on a PC to send an RTMP stream to the Nano
  2. Use the Nano to transcode the rtmp into an H265 encoded IP transport Stream
  3. Modulate this on to a DVB-S2 signal generated by a LimeSDR connected to the Nano
The link between steps 2 and 3 above is what you are missing.

Please could you post the Nano script that you are using to achieve Step 2 here? Then I might be able to suggest a way ahead for you. I will also probably try to put it in the next Portsdown version!

It is important to understand that all the encoding and modulating scripts that run on the Nano are actually composed on the Portsdown and simply sent to the Nano for execution when you press the transmit button.

You should run

Code: Select all

LimeUtil --make
from the command line on your Nano to check the LimeSDR Firmware version. However this will not report anything different if you have the LimeDVB firmware loaded - it does not detect it. However, you clearly don't have this firmware loaded as you are getting signals generated with the Pi Cam as a source.

Looking forward to making this all work!

Dave, G8GKQ

darrenrainer

Post by darrenrainer » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:43 am

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I might be a bit confused on what the Portsdown can do. I had the limedvb on the Portsdown working taking a H264 tcp recorded stream from OBS. So then thought it would work if the Nano transcoded the obs stream to H265 then to tcp. This is what I thought John G7JTT was doing at the beginning of the thread as he seemed to say it was working. If I can't control this from the Portsdown eg switching sources then I just need to figure out how John is doing it on the nano.
At the end of the day I at least have h265 working on the picam. It would be nice to get obs with h265 also but just a little confused as John talks about either controlling from the nano script or using the Portsdown. I will post the script I am using later today.
Thanks
Darren G4VTQ
73s
Darren G4VTQ

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:05 am

Hi Darren sorry this method is ment to just transcode the H264 from the PC using OBS to H265, then UDP to the Portsdown. I pretty much use the same settings all the time on QO100 so leave the stream running into the Portsdown and just change frequency on the Portsdown and Tx. The main difference is I rtmp from the PC to the Jetson and use a custom version off ffmpeg, it's a little more forgiving in parameters that UDP. Hopefully that make sense ? All best John

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:11 am

Hi Darren

As John says, he is using a very clever highly-customised setup - not the standard software.

I would like to include the rtmp to H265 capability in the standard build - hence the request for your working script.

The Portsdown does not yet support the use of LimeDVB firmware with the Nano. Not enough hours in the day!!

Dave, G8GKQ

darrenrainer

Post by darrenrainer » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:41 pm

Hi John and Dave, I think I have possibly found the problem. Being too eager to get this running I hadn't read that I should be running the 2019 stretch version. I currently am using latest buster release. I will build an sd card with 2019 and give that a go. I am runnig exactly the same script john is using so the only two differences are I am running 2020 buster on the portsdown and I have b01 version of the nano. This has 2 camera inputs but the picam is on the default input.

I will try again with the 2019 stretch installed.:-)
73s
Darren G4VTQ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:24 pm

Hi Darren

No, the Buster version should work just the same. It's just that I wrote the Wiki when Stretch was the latest version.

Note that John has the LimeSDR plugged into the Portsdown....

Dave

darrenrainer

Post by darrenrainer » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:50 pm

Hi Dave, thank you for your help. I plugged the lime mini back into the Portsdown and tried with both stretch and buster. Stretch works and buster shows no video. Only thing I need to check is the buster had a fixed ip address and the newly installed stretch was still on dhcp.
73s
Darren G4VTQ

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:49 pm

It's most likely IP addresses Darren they need to be fixed in the router if you can, otherwise every time the address is refreshed your need to edit the script again.

John

roland_F8CHK

Post by roland_F8CHK » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi all,
I am testing OBS 26.0.0 on Jetson Nano, and can now use it as a virtual cam, just like we do on Windows.
This needs a kernel module: v4l2loopbnack (https://github.com/umlaeute/v4l2loopback) and an OBS plugin: obs-v4l2sink (https://github.com/CatxFish/obs-v4l2sink)
You need to load the module, and on OBS to start the plugin in the Tools. and then a new video source appears on /dev.
I use a modified SQ6QV script (https://wiki.batc.org.uk/SQ6QV_script_for_Jetson) to send the TS in udp to Pluto.

Inspiration from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eca509IDLdM

This look to work fine!

Roland F8CHK

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”