Where's Element 14 display gone ?

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
keng8vdp

Where's Element 14 display gone ?

Post by keng8vdp » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:23 am

I have 2 x 7" Element 14 screens.
A friend & new to ATV ham is wanting to set up on Digital ATV

Thing is, I've looked for a link to send him, for the Element 14 7" display but they seem to have disappeared off the market and any mention of Element 14 looks to have been replaced by the term "official 7" screen" !

Its possible I'm looking for it and I'm missing it. Can't see the wood for the trees perhaps.
I'm looking for ELEMENT 14 in the description as mentioned in the wiki
https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_Displays

Looked on PiHut , eBay etc.
I don't want him to end up with a screen that's not supported by the Portsdown software.

What's your thoughts ?

Ken G8VDP

G8PEF

Re: Where's Element 14 display gone ?

Post by G8PEF » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 am

Hi, Ken

The "Official" screen (about £52 from Farnell, slightly more from RS) is the one you want. I've recently bought one from Farnell, and it comes in RPi branded packaging...
I'm not sure, but I think the 'Element 14' bit might have been dropped at the time Farnell were taken over by Avnet, and they introduced that awful green branding to the website ;)
Farnell Oder code: 2473872

John, G8PEF

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:28 am

Thanks for that John.

The top boys on Forum might want to update the Wiki

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:10 am

No problem, Ken

Not sure about 'top boy(s)', but I've updated the description(s) in the Wiki, so there should be less confusion now.
I think I've found all the instances where it was referred to, but there may be one or more left that need updating.

John, G8PEF

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:26 am

G8PEF wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:10 am
No problem, Ken

Not sure about 'top boy(s)', but I've updated the description(s) in the Wiki, so there should be less confusion now.
I think I've found all the instances where it was referred to, but there may be one or more left that need updating.

John, G8PEF
Thanks John , I'm sure some will find that useful. I've sent the Farnell link to my friend. (I'm always causing him to spending his money).

I've spent a good couple of hours this morning trying to find a link to those nice blue enclosures that some have been fitting the Portsdown into ( photos of them on the wiki ) . I seem to think I did see mention of them some time ago, of the supplier but can I hell as like find it now.
I'm at the point where I need to transfer my kit from its test bed of a Feraro Roche box ( she ate all of them ) to a proper box. Anyone having a link to the boxes please let me know.
I can't find it in the list of hardware wiki . but, again I could be looking past it.

Ken
Last edited by keng8vdp on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi Ken,

the case is described on the Minitiouner hardware page - https://wiki.batc.org.uk/MiniTiouner_hardware_Version_2

And John is correct, the wiki is there for all to edit / add if they have any useful information which we all may need in the future....

Noel

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:46 pm

keng8vdp wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:26 am
... I've spent a good couple of hours this morning trying to find a link to those nice blue enclosures that some have been fitting the Portsdown into ( photos of them on the wiki ) . I seem to think I did see mention of them some time ago, of the supplier but can I hell as like find it now...
Unless I'm mistaken, Ken, As Noel hints at, above, I think the blue box you're remembering was the Hammond box for the Mintioune, not something for Portsdown - although I think that would be a nice little challenge to get a fully kitted out
Portsdown into a Minitiouner-sized box :)

The Minitiouner box in question is a Hammond 1455N1201 series (1455N1201BU for the blue one) and is available from a number of suppliers including Digikey (order code 1455N1201BU-ND), and Farnell (order code 2361595).

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:25 am

g8gtz wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:14 pm
Hi Ken,

the case is described on the Minitiouner hardware page - https://wiki.batc.org.uk/MiniTiouner_hardware_Version_2

And John is correct, the wiki is there for all to edit / add if they have any useful information which we all may need in the future....

Noel
Thanks Noel. I found the Blue boxes for Portsdown , on eBay of course. After searching BATC forum I saw reference to them as being "Junction" boxes . ahah !

320mmx270mmx120mm Rectangle Project Enclosure Case Electric Junction Box Blue

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2012307841

Many different sizes to choose from via this seller.

By the way, my Minitiouner is already cased in the recommended enclosure and it was silver but I changed the front & back panels to FR4 repainted. I like using FR4 as I find it easier to work on my milling machine. I often use it in the first instance to get any cutouts right. If its GOOD, I spray it whatever colour I like.
If its Bad or not quite right I then use that as a template on the supplied panel (correcting any errors). This system works for me and I've got better at it over the years.

Thanks for your help ( thumbs up)

Ken

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:38 am

keng8vdp wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:25 am
g8gtz wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:14 pm
Hi Ken,

Noel

Thanks Noel. I found the Blue boxes for Portsdown , on eBay of course. After searching BATC forum I saw reference to them as being "Junction" boxes . ahah !

320mmx270mmx120mm Rectangle Project Enclosure Case Electric Junction Box Blue

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2012307841

Many different sizes to choose from via this seller.

By the way, my Minitiouner is already cased in the recommended enclosure and it was silver but I changed the front & back panels to FR4 repainted. I like using FR4 as I find it easier to work on my milling machine. I often use it in the first instance to get any cutouts right. If its GOOD, I spray it whatever colour I like.
If its Bad or not quite right I then use that as a template on the supplied panel (correcting any errors). This system works for me and I've got better at it over the years.

Thanks for your help ( thumbs up)

Ken

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”