Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen - how to mount?

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8PEF

Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen - how to mount?

Post by G8PEF » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Hi, folks

Looking at a RPi 7" touch screen (Farnell/CPC type), and I see that it apoeRs to have 8 mounting 'lugs' on the rear....
I gather 4 of these are for mounting the display controller, so assume the outer group are for mounting the display to a panel. Since the 'glass' is intended to sit flush against your front panel, it seems that a large rectangular hole is required, through which the 'lugs' protrude.
So my question is, how have people mounted this display into a panel?
I really should have paid more attention to the systems on the stand at Newark, but I hadn't really considered that I'd like a 7" screen until I got back from Newark and looked at my 3.5" Waveshare screen (and realising that my eyesight isn't as great as it used to be!)

So, over to you folks - how have you tackled this?

John, G8PEF

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen - how to mount?

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:25 am

Hi John

I have cut out the large rectangular hole in the panel, so that the unit will sit flush against the panel. Then I made 2 top-to-bottom mounting bars with holes to take M3 screws to fit in the mounting lugs (be careful not to over-tighten, as the the thread in these lugs stips easily). I then fixed the ends of the mounting bars to the rear of the front panel, with suitable spacers to mainitain the display flush (but not stressed) against the panel.

The inner set of 4 screws can be used to mount your Raspberry Pi.

Dave, G8GKQ

G8PEF

Re: Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen - how to mount?

Post by G8PEF » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:22 am

Thanks for that, Dave - I had something like that in mind, but I hadn't realised that the holes in the lugs were tapped.
Ok, that's my next order to Farnell sorted out :)

John, G8PEF

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”