Portsdown to drive DVB-T Dongle

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
df3ei

Portsdown to drive DVB-T Dongle

Post by df3ei » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:19 am

Hi, all,
I wonder if the transport stream that is generated by the Portsdown software could be fed into a HIDES DVB-T dongle like the UT-100C to allow for a "Multimode" DATV transmitter. Has anybody tried this? How would I go about it? Or am I on a wrong track all together?

73, Jörg

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Portsdown to drive DVB-T Dongle

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:16 am

Jörg

It might be possible using the TS Out function of the Portsdown. However, you would have to configure this through ssh using the console menu, as I have not made provision for this mode on the touchscreen. Neither have I tested it for over a year, so some bugs may have crept in.

I'd be interested to hear if you make it work.

Dave, G8GKQ

df3ei

Post by df3ei » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:45 am

Hi, Dave, and thank you for the hint,

are you referring to the UDP output of the TS? Ok, that could be received at localhost and piped to the IT95x driver, but I was hoping to grap the TS at where it is generated from whatever input comes out of the other pieces of the software.

I am going to fork the project and set up a dev environment to do some experiments. I shall report here...

Thanks for a great project; looks like you spent a lot(!) of time on it.

73, Jörg

KA5BBC

Post by KA5BBC » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:22 am

I would like to hear an update and progress in DVD-T capabilities and possiblity of it coming to the touch screen.. The US have for the most part decided to go with DVB-T as the DATV standard so if this can be made to work with the Portsdown it will be an easy sell to our users, over say the HiDes equipment or commercial equipment.
I've been doing demos with my half finished Portsdown, as a proof of it's abilities and value but I am always ask if it does DVB-T - I usually respond that it is a work in progress rather a direct no.
(If it could be made to transmit and receive DVB-T, especially with the LimeSDR rather than a HiDes dongle, then that would be the easiest sell of all)
Andy, KA5BBC/MM0BQV

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:15 am

Andy

Sorry to disappoint you, but the answer is a direct no. There is very limited ability to use DVB-T in the UK, and it is well beyond the abilities of a Raspberry Pi to generate the waveform to feed to a LimeSDR.

On the receive side, it might be worth looking at the Raspberry Pi TV Hat, which does receive DVB-T fairly cheaply. I know that DATV Express was capable of transmitting DVB-T when driven by a PC, so those 2 might provide a viable alternative to the Hides kit.

Our assessment over the past 15 years has been that DVB-S and DVB-S2 are far more flexible than DVB-T and DVB-T2, go further, can carry more data in less bandwidth and are cheaper and easier to generate, amplify and receive with equal, if not better, picture quality.

Dave, G8GKQ

KA5BBC

Post by KA5BBC » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Thanks for the update..

I am going to continue to push the Portsdown and DVB-S locally, bucking to trend, and see what happens.
Andy, KA5BBC/MM0BQV

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”