Portsdown 2019 - LimeSDR detection

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
g0mgx

Portsdown 2019 - LimeSDR detection

Post by g0mgx » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:40 am

Morning All,

I'm building myself a 2019 Portsdown with a LimeSRD from the BATC shop.

I have the SDR connected via a powered USB hub as recommended.

Every time the Pi software (stretch 201902072) boots, I see the message "No Lime USB Detected Check Connections" but then if I go to the Lime Menu and run the lime report - all tests pass **sometimes** - sometimes the same lime report fails also reporting no SDR connected.

If I connect the LimeSDR directly to the Pi I still get the same "no lime SDR USB detected" message, but so far the tests in the lime report have always passed in this config.

Any suggestions over what I am doing wrong? Are there any specific USB hubs recommended?

Many thanks

Mark
G0MGX

g8vpg

Re: Portsdown 2019 - LimeSDR detection

Post by g8vpg » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:09 pm

Have you selected output to Lime?
73 Shaun.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi Mark

Some questions before I offer advice:

What else do you have connected to your Raspberry Pi?

Which screen are you using?

What model RPi is it (3B, 3B+)?

Are you confident that your power supply is good enough? (go to Menu 2, select Info and see what it says about power events)

Is the powered hub USB2 or USB3?

Dave, G8GKQ

g0mgx

Post by g0mgx » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:54 am

Hi Dave

Thank you very much for the offer of help.

I have solved the mystery over the "No Lime USB Detected Check Connections" message; the system was configured to be sending output to "Lime USB" and clearly this needed to be "Lime Mini". I now see that the "Lime USB" option is grayed out so not sure how it got selected - maybe this is the default? I **suspect** the tests run the same for both versions of Lime but the software was correctly not detecting a Lime USB as I have a Lime USB Mini. Since I have changed this there have been no error messages on startup nor any failures of the Lime Report - so I suspect its all A OK now.

To answer your questions for completeness:

What else do you have connected to your Raspberry Pi? I assume you mean USB devices - the answer is none other than the Lime Mini. The hub is connected to the Pi and the Lime Mini connected to the hub. I do have a 4 port switch and 4 band decoder plus a 4312 attenuator physically wired to the GPIO board.

Which screen are you using? Waveshare

What model RPi is it (3B, 3B+)? Model B V1.2

Are you confident that your power supply is good enough? Yes, the Pi and hub are bring powered by a buck-boost set to 5.2V. I see nothing about power events on the information screen.

Is the powered hub USB2 or USB3? USB2

Whilst you are kind enough to offer help, can you explain if the "TCAnim" package is now included in the on-board software? I'm trying to find information on how to configure it. I see it as a Source option but cannot see anything relevant (I don't think) in the /home/pi directory.

Mark
G0MGX

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:27 am

Hi Mark

Pleased that you have solved the mystery.

TCAnim is included, and is compiled as part of the touchscreen application (from the rpridatv/src/gui folder). It is not displayed during transmission due to a timing conflict between fbcp (which writes the framebuffer to the touchscreen) and avc2ts (which grabs the framebuffer for transmission). It is displayed for the 7 inch screen which displays the framebuffer directly.

I am about to modify tcanim so that it fits the 7 inch screen properly.

Dave

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”