Vmix and local area network

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
M0YDH

Vmix and local area network

Post by M0YDH » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Hello all
May I have advice please on connecting the ATV station mini-PC directly by LAN cable to the Portsdown? I only have flaky Wi-Fi in my workshop and wondered if I could have a LAN consisting of one cable between the two computers. It's for Vmix and FFMpeg experiments per the Wiki page https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Feeding_Video_ ... _from_vMix. The instructions are firm on wired network connection as the way to go.
The CAT15 lectures by Chris MW0LLK on the club YouTube site on these software applications are very good and lots of fun. I'm not proficient in fixing IP addresses so hope whatever comes out of this is very straightforward.

best regards

David M0YDH

M0YDH

Re: Vmix and local area network

Post by M0YDH » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Or put another way, I don't understand how to achieve the instructions on page 28 of CQ-TV 249( which was for a linux pc with DATV Express and a Vmix PC) for my Pi and PC. Something about subnet IP addresses. 🙄

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Following off-forum discussion, David and I have decided that the best way for him to proceed is to try to install an old router in his rack, so that he can run a local network without having to configure the Portsdown and his Mini-PC for fixed-IP operation.

Dave G8GKQ

M0YDH

Post by M0YDH » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Dave Crump's suggestion has been excellent. I found a discarded ADSL router and two LAN cables, connected it to Portsdown and the mini PC I use and switched on.
Windows showed an Ethernet without internet connection and the PC had these addresses:-
IPv4 address: 192.168.0.2
IPv4 DNS servers: 192.168.0.1

The Portsdown info screen showed WiFi address and new address 192.168.0.3

I sent the command ping 192.168.0.3 in the Windows command window and got a satisfactory reply.
I entered the above address into Vmix2Portsdown batch file, changed the Vmix Stream outputs to those shown on the BATC Wiki page and pressed the Vmix External button. It turned red. I selected Encoder <IPTS in> on Portsdwon menu and transmitted. Minitioune was soon showing the stills or videos. The animation of Lonnie Mack's wonderful Cookie Blues gave me the audio/lyrics 2 seconds later.
Vmix to Pi working first time.JPG
Vmix to Pi working first time.JPG (140.21 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
This means Portsdown users can use VMix away from internet. Test card to "talent" transitions when out car park /p are possible for 1MS/s or greater transmissions. I bet some of you won't be able to resist....... Certainly it will appeal to the scouts visiting our JOTA station next year.

David M0YDH

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi David

Really pleased that it all worked!

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”